Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
millipede

peeps 4/19 NW AR

Northwest Arkansas from April 2019

I'm TRYING(again, and again, and again) to get older checklists to eBird... my notes mentioned at least 2 peeps with black legs which rules out the least sandpipers(so nice of them to be the only peeps around here with yellow legs.)

1. Pectoral sandpiper right? Hard to see the bill color here but I'm about 99% sure on this... didn't need to ask, in the field I can identify them easily most of the time but lighting can be a pain with pictures and sunlight...  I have at least 3 pectorals on my list and one note that says "pesa+?"  I guess one of my pictures, not sure which, I was questioning if the bird I was seeing was a pectoral or not. Maybe it's in one of the pictures after this one...

pesa.JPG.237f208402ebd347dd33c1d1eff2e49a.JPG

2. semipalmated?

peep5.JPG.b23f51304e1ae8309427e5b81b3b37a3.JPG

3. I hate the position of the head here...

peep4.JPG.0c3f2bab8d9b8eb4dea10067e709f8ac.JPG

4. semipalmated?

peep3.JPG.7e85880828af88fbae3f84e86c6dd018.JPG

5&6. Any birds that aren't pectorals, pectorals left in for size comparison...

peep2.JPG.d386439185eb08e801112ad3c2f87cd1.JPGpeep.JPG.57d95100c2ad9e0f653a8238072c6576.JPG

1. Pectoral

2-3. Pass

4. Might be a White-rumped

5. Pectoral, possibly a Semipalmated.

6. Pectoral, peep sp. in back left, and what appears to be a Least on the far right. 

Edited by Phalarope713

I have no problem submitting reports with peep sp but if I can get any confirmations on any of them that aren't least I'd enjoy that. 🙂 
And now that you mention the least, the colors are hard to judge with the lighting but I can see that being a least. Have at least 15 least on the list for that day.

I don't think 4 is White-rumped, White-rumped are usually more grayscale in terms of overall coloration and more slender and long-winged.

I agree with Pectoral Sandpiper on the 1st photo and in the 5th and 6th photos.

I think the bird in 4, and the peeps in 5, are Semipalmated Sandpiper.

In 6 is another probable Semipalmated Sandpiper back left. I agree with @Phalarope713 the back right bird might be Least, looks like a droopy bill.

That leaves 2 and 3. They may just be Semipalmated, but I am picking up some Baird's vibes with the warm tan-brown coloration around the head and neck, and in picture 3 at least, it looks pretty long winged.

Pix 2, 3, and 4 are all of Baird's Sandpipers, with the bird in 4 probably being the same individual as in 2 (note the pattern of scapulars replaced in the prealternate molt, the new ones being blackish). Baird's have blackish scapulars that are fringed only narrowly with buff (fading to white than wearing off), with the fringe being of similar width along entire perimeter, so that the black of the rest of feather has the same shape as the feather itself. On Semipalmated and Western, the scapulars have wider fringes on the sides than the tips, giving the blackish area a narrower look. Semi and Western also have white throats, while White-rumped Sandpiper has dark-streaked white throat at this time of year.

Pic 5 has two Pec Sands and three peeps, all looking like they have black legs, but I'm not convinced on a couple that the legs are actually black. The "peep, sp." entry seems fine for them.

Pic 6 has two Pec Sands (the two middle birds), a Semipalmated Sand (left) and a Least Sand (right).

Finally, for clarity's sake, the term "peep" is used only for the smallest species of Calidris: Baird's, Least, White-rumped, Semipalmated, Western, and Spoon-billed, and all of the beasts known as stints. Thus, neither Sanderling nor Dunlin is a peep.

• Like 3

On 2/12/2020 at 12:20 PM, Tony Leukering said:

Finally, for clarity's sake, the term "peep"

When I read that, I was sitting here thinking... yeah, I know.  But then I realized that, even though I was really looking for ID's on the peeps, I did bring up the PESA... 
And thanks for all of that.
I don't know if I'm ready to take on remembering ALL of those details but I appreciate them just the same...   I might learn a lot more of those details as time passes...