Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
millipede

NW AR hawk

4/19/19
Since there's not a lot going on here I'll give you guys more work when I can. :) 
(once in a while I still think of building another bird ID/birding website because this one still lacks changes it should have had but, eh...)

So just for fun I looked at pictures from another day, even though I didn't have any ??? on my checklist... found this hawk. I have broad winged on my list and I assume this has to be the bird I called as such since I see no other remarks to an unknown or anything...  The BOLD and wide barring on the tail has/had me thinking broad-winged but something about the rest of the bird...  seems just a LITTLE more accipiter like than buteo but it's bulky so can't be SSHA...  I don't know, something about it confuses me...  If it's broad-winged, is it just a younger bird? I see no markings on the wing to aid me here.
I like bold adult birds for many hawk species so I can see the marks I'm looking for a bit more readily.  ha.

4-19hawk.JPG

2 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

I think it's a Sharp-shinned, but I'd wait for second opinions.

the head projection makes me want to think that...  something about the body doens't though...   I'll wait for more opinions/comments.

What does this mean for me BWHA note... hmmm... did I see another one and didn't have a picture? or, was this the only bird I saw and I just assumed BWHA at the time because of the tail bands?  My guess is that's what happened...

Definitely an Accipiter. Wings seems a little pulled forward, head doesn't project very far forward, suggesting Sharpie, but the tail is quite long and the overall bulk seems to suggest Cooper's. I don't really want to put a name on it. Photos just give less information than seeing a bird in the field, as it is static, you cannot get as intimate a feel for the bird's true shape, size, how it flies, how it moves, how it behaves, etc. And it is hard to rule out photographic artifacts - for example, the pulled forward wings on this bird could just be due to the birds posture in that exact moment, it might not always look like that.

This being said, I might be wrong, but based mostly on the length and shape of the tail, I'd lead towards Cooper's Hawk.