Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Corey

Just a muscovy?

Muscovy ducks are unusual here (southern Nevada). A nearby park had a pair for several months last year. I'd stop by when birding there since they were the most affectionate birds I'd ever seen.  🙂  They disappeared and this year two others appeared.  Then another appeared a few days ago, with a heart on it's chest.  And today this one arrived. I'm wondering if this is just a muscovy since they have such huge variation or if a hybrid is possible.  There are many domestic ducks and domestic mallards at this park.  Thanks.

DSCN1799.JPG

1 hour ago, Corey said:

this is just a muscovy since they have such huge variation or if a hybrid is possible.

The bill color, the knob above it, the red around the eye, overall shape and size... all looks good for domestic muscovy as others said. I haven't seen a lot of crosses... And they are quite variable... I've seen at least one cross before and I'd suspect any hybrids to have a little less of those features than this bird has.
I don't really like seeing domestics in the wild but, these make great pets. They are very quiet(they don't quack), some people eat them, they also make good layers and mothers.

That blue, sometimes called andalusian in chickens and pigeons, is also a dead giveaway for domestic fowl.

• Like 2