Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
insanityslave

Bottom of the Barrel #1

hey yall,

ive been going through some old pics trying to either id them, or delete them (so im not bothered by unidentified birds anymore!).  ive reached the bottom of the barrel and am dealing with bad pics.  ANY push in the right direction is appreciated. id rather delete them and have an idea of what they were than no idea at all. here are a couple: 

the first (yellow one)... my best guess on the first is a prothonotary warbler. it was seen at geneva lake state park (northern ohio) on june 19 2017

the second... i havent the foggiest. nor do i have a definitive location. more than likely central ohio (as thats were i used to live when this pic was taken, and likely in the spring given the buds on the tree)

again, any help is appreciated!

P6190999.JPG

20140407_070042.jpg

The second bird is definitely a Northern Mockingbird.

Edited by Kevin

Many warbler species can be identified on the combo of under-tail coverts and underside of the tail. Prothonotary is distinctive in that way. I suggest purchasing and studying the underside plates in either of the ABA-Area warblers guides.

7 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

I suggest purchasing and studying the underside plates in either of the ABA-Area warblers guides.

Of this, if it still works...

https://dl.allaboutbirds.org/download_the_warbler_guide_quickfinders

I have the pdf file on my computer(I should print it some day and carry it with me) and when I saw this topic the other day, I looked at it... sort of asked myself if I could tell it wasn't a blue-winged from this picture... looked at the guide and that black pattern on the tail was good for prothonotary...  
I'm a LONG way from being able to just look and ID from the underside for a lot of those warblers but having guides sure can help.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, millipede said:

Of this, if it still works...

https://dl.allaboutbirds.org/download_the_warbler_guide_quickfinders

I have the pdf file on my computer(I should print it some day and carry it with me) and when I saw this topic the other day, I looked at it... sort of asked myself if I could tell it wasn't a blue-winged from this picture... looked at the guide and that black pattern on the tail was good for prothonotary...  
I'm a LONG way from being able to just look and ID from the underside for a lot of those warblers but having guides sure can help.

that is amazing! thanks so much 🙂