Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  

on Jan 26, 2020, in Harriman State Park,  I photographed 3 birds on a pole that looked like giant pigeons. Dark grey wings, light grey chest. They had some black spots on the wings. They were the size of a red tailed hawk. I cannot identify them, can you help? I tried to post a pic but was unable to. I have one in flight and 3 on the pole. thanks

If you copy and paste(or drag and drop) your images right into the message box, they should upload(I think) and would greatly help with IDing your mystery bird.

Edited by lonestranger

Welcome to Whatbird!  You can also upload your pictures to a hosting service such as Flickr or Imgur and paste the links here.

Also, it would be helpful if you said what state that park is in.

• Like 1

Welcome!

Size can be very difficult to judge.  I had this exact same issue yesterday, a bird on a line shaped like a pigeon but it -appeared- to be the size of a Red-tailed.  A quick check with the binos showed it was just another Mourning Dove.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Size can be very difficult to judge.

indeed... someone actually argued with me on a local FB group about a bird they saw... insisted it was a woodpecker that was "at least" 3 feet tall... and, bigger than a bald eagle. Could you imagine the drilling of a bird that size? HA.

3 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Also, it would be helpful if you said what state that park is in.

Looks like NY...

Hopefully you can get some pictures up as that would indeed help.

• Haha 1