Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
riverpoet

Florida/Texas road trip bird ID help #3

Hi all,

ok, next batch, still Florida.

1)  I'd say Orange-crowned Warbler, though is seems grayish on one photo, perhaps immature?

DSCN0551-everglades-shark-w.thumb.jpg.a389d411c1839ace9a2255bb1c4507f2.jpg

DSCN0555-everglades-shark-w.thumb.jpg.bf4c3815d27f24193f323479d9e48814.jpg

2)  After 300+ lifers, did I finally see a bittern? American Bittern?

DSCN0528-everglades-shark-w.thumb.jpg.c26d6e03b76e4d8054d48a4d10fa3a59.jpg

3)  A longshot... Tree Swallow?

DSCN0544-everglades-shark-w.thumb.jpg.5fa19ec6785567a431a4a131b9ad8d09.jpg

4)  Savannah Sparrow?

DSCN0355-drytortugas-w.thumb.jpg.f07c5b9eb50675c3ff7d94cb436c177c.jpg

DSCN0356-drytortugas-w.thumb.jpg.94f260922d013bc9e96fb735d0d7675a.jpg

5)  Can this be anything other than a Black Skimmer? Did not catch the iconic bill.

DSCN0307-drytortugas-w.thumb.jpg.9cbf37b72d06cfc361581e8ecce2a227.jpg

DSCN0291-drytortugas-w.thumb.jpg.093a0be715aabbe5362b42781fdcc487.jpg

Regards,

Peter

• Like 1

1. Orange-crowned Warbler is correct, yellow undertail coverts, indistinct olive-gray streaking on sides of breast, broken eye ring with darker eye line. Very pointy bill. The rather dull coloration and grayish head is typical of eastern birds, the western subspecies are brighter yellowish overall.

2. American Bittern is correct, beautiful picture!

3. Tree Swallow is correct I believe, we can use deduction, clearly it is not Barn, Cliff, Bank, or Northern Rough-winged Swallow due to the totally clean white underparts.

4. Palm Warbler. Pretty drab and nondescript for a warbler, but note the yellow undertail coverts, the hint of rufous on the cap, and the black and white pattern on the bottom of the tail.

5. Black Skimmer is correct, not the long-winged, slender look, black and white coloration, orange and black bill, etc. Pretty distinctive.

• Like 2

1. Orange-crowned Warbler is correct, yellow undertail coverts, indistinct olive-gray streaking on sides of breast, broken eye ring with darker eye line. Very pointy bill. The rather dull coloration and grayish head is typical of eastern birds, the western subspecies are brighter yellowish overall.

3. Tree Swallow is correct I believe, we can use deduction, clearly it is not Barn, Cliff, Bank, or Northern Rough-winged Swallow due to the totally clean white underparts.

4. Palm Warbler. Pretty drab and nondescript for a warbler, but note the yellow undertail coverts, the hint of rufous on the cap, and the black and white pattern on the bottom of the tail.

5. Black Skimmer is correct, not the long-winged, slender look, black and white coloration, orange and black bill, etc. Pretty distinctive.

Agree with these.

55 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Agreed.

Thanks all!

I guess its better to ask when not sure, would have naver guessed the Palm Warbler, although I should have noticed the bill is definitely not sparrowish.

Very happy for the bittern, I was afraid it might be a juvenile green heron or something 🙂

On a side note, I'm really happy with the overall quality of the photos, my purpose is not pretty pictures but identification, but the Nikon Coolpix P1000 is something else with 125x zoom, especially for mid-range where you can get up close shots without scaring the bird!

19 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

clearly it is not Barn, Cliff, Bank, or Northern Rough-winged Swallow due to the totally clean white underparts.

totally clean? I see something of a breastband on this bird... which had me questioning how we could rule out bank here. It's a blurry photo so you cannot see detail but there's clearly some color there, not solid white.
But I just stared at the field guide and see that juvenile tree swallows have something of a pale breastband there.  And, apparently the tail does help rule out the bank though so I'd still agree with tree. 🙂  Hopefully I can retain some of this stuff I look up.

18 hours ago, riverpoet said:

I guess its better to ask when not sure

Always... 🙂

18 hours ago, riverpoet said:

125x zoom

want to buy me a new camera? My old one had 40x zoom which was decent enough, most of the time I guess... but it's not functional anymore so I'm without...  125x? I could definitely use that at times.  ha.