Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
gstacks

Snow goose or hybrid?

Looks good for a Snow x Canada Goose hybrid.

I think it's a different one than the one you saw back in December... :classic_smile:

Edited by akandula
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a different one than the one you saw back in December... :classic_smile:

I agree with Snow x Canada Goose hybrid. 

18 minutes ago, akandula said:

Looks good!

Definitely a result of hybridization between one of the white geese and one of the white-cheeked geese species. Note the dark legs, which should rule out pure individuals of either white goose species in February. In Colorado, Snow x Cackling is more frequent than is Snow x Canada, which makes sense from a breeding perspective. That is because geese pair on breeding grounds (unlike ducks) and Cackling Goose is a tundra breeder like the two white goose species and unlike Canada Goose. Unfortunately, Lesser Canada Goose has been found to be hybridizing with, apparently, both Richardson's and Taverner's Cackling Geese, making things more problematic.

Your bird's head seems large-ish and the neck long-ish, but that could be imparted by either a Snow Goose parent or a Canada Goose parent. Without a firm indication of size that would be provided by photos of the bird including some other species of goose, I am hesitant to put a name to the beast, other than eBird's "Snow/Ross's x Cackling/Canada Goose (hybrid)" category.

49 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Definitely a result of hybridization between one of the white geese and one of the white-cheeked geese species. Note the dark legs, which should rule out pure individuals of either white goose species in February. In Colorado, Snow x Cackling is more frequent than is Snow x Canada, which makes sense from a breeding perspective. That is because geese pair on breeding grounds (unlike ducks) and Cackling Goose is a tundra breeder like the two white goose species and unlike Canada Goose. Unfortunately, Lesser Canada Goose has been found to be hybridizing with, apparently, both Richardson's and Taverner's Cackling Geese, making things more problematic.

Your bird's head seems large-ish and the neck long-ish, but that could be imparted by either a Snow Goose parent or a Canada Goose parent. Without a firm indication of size that would be provided by photos of the bird including some other species of goose, I am hesitant to put a name to the beast, other than eBird's "Snow/Ross's x Cackling/Canada Goose (hybrid)" category.

Isn't the bill too large for Cackling or Ross' to likely be one of the parents?

2 hours ago, akiley said:

Isn't the bill too large for Cackling or Ross' to likely be one of the parents?

Agreed. The Snow x Cackling I have seen in Colorado all had noticeably smaller and stubbier bills. This bird's bill seems very large and hefty for Cackling parentage, although I could be wrong.