Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
millipede

RSHA question

I wish...  so many wishes... wish I had a new camera... been stuck using my daughter's(my old, old one) and it's not great...
and, I wish I took more than one photo of this bird now. Just looked and the bird was preening or something when the photo snapped so you can't see all the details well.

This was today, 2/17/2020 in Siloam Springs, Arkansas...
I thought it odd enough that this red-shouldered hawk was on a fence post in the middle of pasture. Normally I see RTHA in this habitat and RSHA closer to wooded areas. There are wooded areas nearby but, this just looked out of place. We were hoping for a harrier or, better yet, a prairie falcon. Anyway, we never saw a RSHA with so much color on it... Just from the back... the whole head, what little of the front that was showing... SO much strong reddish color... and, something about the tail just had me curious. I never saw one quite like this. Then when I was looking at picture, I was still puzzled by the tail. So I just looked in Sibley's(first edition, not second) and see there's a california red-shouldered that looks a LOT like this bird. You can't see the whole bird... I'm unsure if the bold tail bands are bold enough and enough to go on with this picture... 
Anyone good with the subspecies for these birds? have any thoughts???

Hmmm... can't seem to upload a photo... have I reached my limit or something?  I'll upload to imgur or something...

https://imgur.com/a/iy5qg0l

Definitely a Red-shouldered. Don't know anything about subspecies, but this is indeed very colorful! Could be it has recently molted into fresh plumage so the feathers aren't worn. 

Arkansas is within the range of nominate lineatus and nowhere near the range of any other subspecies, all others of which are non-migratory or only slightly migratory. Red-shouldered Hawks frequently range into open country, where they are subject to harassment by local Red-taileds. From the species' BNA account (https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/reshaw/distribution; access requires subscription):

Habitat in the Overwintering Range

Lowland areas near water, e.g., swamps, marshes, and river valleys (Palmer 1988). Individuals frequent open habitat much more than during breeding season, even if they do not migrate (Bent 1937b, J. Jacobs pers. comm.). During a roadside survey in Florida, where species is resident year-round, similar habitats were used summer and winter; open habitats (e.g., pastures and fallow fields) and open areas with scattered trees were preferred over hardwood forests, pine (Pinus) flatwoods, and wetlands (Bohall and Collopy 1984); use of open habitats related to availability of natural perches for hunting.

I really wish I had a better camera and got more photos of the bird. In the field, my daughter and I were both wowing over the color of the bird.

Are you suggesting it can't be a california based on range? or that combined with they don't really migrate? Can you rule out california based on the picture? I question everything. 🙂  The other year we had a vermillion flycatcher in our town here in NW Arkansas... and last year I had a great kiskadee land in my yard for about 5 seconds. Those were way out of range....

I'm just questioning for certainty... I know how educated you are on these birds... sometimes you answer questions in an indirect way where a person has to think about it... sometimes that's actually good... other times I read and think "so was that a yes or a no or...?"  ha. 
I use range quite often for birds I catch only glimpses of...  99.999999% of the time if a hummingbird flies through my yard it's Ruby throated so I'll report them as such... There are times when I'm glad there are ranges for birds as some of them can really confuse.  So glad I don't live in an overlap area for any birds that look alike. Then again, that might FORCE me to get to know those ones better...