Whatbird Community
SirVive

Anyone care to guess this call?

SW WA today along a creek with large mature doug firs - heard a call I didn't recognize but couldn't spot the rascal! Called for a good 5 min from somewhere up 50' or so in the trees. Best I can describe it is a two note clear whistle about like a Lesser Goldfinch followed by 3 chee chee chee notes somewhat along the lines of a Chickadee but not quite. Any suggestions? 

17 hours ago, Jefferson Shank said:

White-throated Sparrow? you should have recorded it and attached the recording.

Don't think that's quite right but definitely a good guess based on my description. The last 3 notes were somewhat more nasal - chickadee like as opposed to really clear whistles like the first 2.  Unfortunately my only recording method I had handy was my phone and I rarely have much success with it since it doesn't seem to have selective hearing like I do to filter out all the background noise  (wife's voice?)  😉 

6 hours ago, SirVive said:

it doesn't seem to have selective hearing like I do to filter out all the background noise  (wife's voice?) 

Oh, I know you did not go there!  :classic_ohmy:

The last 3 notes were somewhat more nasal - chickadee like as opposed to really clear whistles like the first 2.

Your description sounds like a Carolina or Black-capped Chickadee.

Edited by Jefferson Shank

18 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Oh, I know you did not go there!  :classic_ohmy:

Well ... at least she claims I become deaf the moment my binoculars come out 🤔

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SirVive said:

Well ... at least she claims I become deaf the moment my binoculars come out 🤔

My Darling Bride rarely comes birding with me.  She likes being outdoors, but doesn't like standing around while I try to determine what's moving in the brush, or waiting for whatever dove underwater to resurface.  She'd rather keep moving.

The terrier is worse; no patience at all.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2020 at 4:23 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

My Darling Bride rarely comes birding with me.  She likes being outdoors, but doesn't like standing around while I try to determine what's moving in the brush, or waiting for whatever dove underwater to resurface.  She'd rather keep moving.

The terrier is worse; no patience at all.

Our wives must be related 😊  Loves the outdoors but at a speed-walk pace!  I on the other hand can sit on the same log all afternoon or wander aimlessly all day and be perfectly happy.

On 2/19/2020 at 4:40 AM, Jefferson Shank said:

Your description sounds like a Carolina or Black-capped Chickadee.

I think it sounds like a Carolina 🙄  Maybe I'll report it and see if I can convince the reviewer 🤔   @Charlie Spencer  You guys will back me up on this right? 😆 

If that fails I guess it gets left a mystery.

Carolina unlikely - try Chestnut-backed or Black-capped, possibly Mountain Chickadee if you are in the Cascades but sounds like you are probably not in Mountain Chickadee range. Carolina Chickadee would be ridiculously unlikely, such that it can easily be completely ruled out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

You're asking -ME- to back you up on a bird call?  Sure!  I know both birds, Blue Jay and Not Blue Jay!

LOL!!!

14 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Carolina Chickadee would be ridiculously unlikely, such that it can easily be completely ruled out.

My point exactly! 🙄   

We do get chestnuts and rarely a mountain will show up but I'm pretty certain whatever I heard wasn't one of the chickadee family. I hear them far too often to have it get my attention as an oddity like that call did. 

On 2/21/2020 at 12:16 PM, SirVive said:

Our wives must be related 😊  Loves the outdoors but at a speed-walk pace!  I on the other hand can sit on the same log all afternoon or wander aimlessly all day and be perfectly happy.

@Charlie Spencer

All parties were happy today 😊  The wife took the 110 lb mutt and vanished into the distance while I let the 22 month old wander at her own pace - which just happened to be about the same as mine. She pulled grass, collected all the cool non-descrip rocks she could find, shouted 'bird, bird!' every time one flew passed, and tried to get through the blackberries to pet the cows while I watched pintails and yellow legs. 👍  We managed to cover the grand distance of  .4 miles in a half hour! 

Edited by SirVive
  • Like 1