Whatbird Community

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Yay, Purple Finch!

What kind of stinks, is I saw the bird, was like "what's that?" and fired off some pics, because I couldn't get a good look through the binoculars. It was really sunny, and the bird was moving a ton. I didn't see it was a purple until I zoomed in on the photo. If I had known, I would have taken more time to try to see it with the binoculars!

1 hour ago, meghann said:

What kind of stinks, is I saw the bird, was like "what's that?" and fired off some pics, because I couldn't get a good look through the binoculars. It was really sunny, and the bird was moving a ton. I didn't see it was a purple until I zoomed in on the photo. If I had known, I would have taken more time to try to see it with the binoculars!

If it makes you feel any better, when I got mine in MA in October, I thought she was some type of sparrow.  She was way up in a tree and the angle distorted her proportions through my binos.  Like you, I didn't ID her until I looked at the photos in detail.

9 hours ago, meghann said:

Glad you got to go see the celebrity! Were there a bunch of birders at the library?

Thanks.  I wasn't able to find a way to sneak out from work until the 3rd afternoon, so there was a relatively small group of about 20 people for much of the time.  The first couple days had a lot more, and I suspect tomorrow will be busy, since it will be the first weekend day available.