Whatbird Community

Lifers

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

That’s a lifer?? :classic_blink:

Yup. I've only been birding for about a year and there's still common birds around here I've not seen, especially spring/summer ones. I'll use eBird to find spots to try for them but don't always have much luck. I chalk that up to being new and terrible at birding by ear. There's a lot of birds I hear that go unidentified because I can't find them in the treetops. Thankfully our local Audubon is starting up trips again so I can start learning in the field from more experienced folks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Spent most of yesterday and today driving with my family from Portland to southern Utah and I somehow managed to get 10 lifers along the way: Eastern Kingbird, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Forster’s Tern, Juniper Titmouse, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Franklin’s Gull, Ferruginous Hawk, White-faced Ibis, Black-chinned Hummingbird, and Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jay. If I got all these lifers from the car/rest areas, I’m excited to see how the rest of the trip goes!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Colton V said:

Spent most of yesterday and today driving with my family from Portland to southern Utah and I somehow managed to get 10 lifers along the way: Eastern Kingbird, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Forster’s Tern, Juniper Titmouse, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Franklin’s Gull, Ferruginous Hawk, White-faced Ibis, Black-chinned Hummingbird, and Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jay. If I got all these lifers from the car/rest areas, I’m excited to see how the rest of the trip goes!

Nice going!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Five more lifers today: Green-tailed Towhee, Cordilleran Flycatcher (heard only ☹️), Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, White-throated Swift, and Spotted Owl. 

13 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Nice going!

Real easy to get lifers when I’ve never been to the desert before!

• Like 7

Loggerhead Shrike, Burrowing Owl (Highway bird - no photos 😭), Zone-tailed Hawk, Rock Wren, Broad-tailed Hummingbird, and Northern Mockingbird. 

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

SPOTTED OWL???!!!!!Photos?

Yes, but I won’t be able to upload them until I get home on Sunday. Here’s a sneak peek... 

47FB8EE0-A2E1-4911-B07A-0BDCBD3781AF.thumb.jpeg.1213fd60feaa6d0d82263a35b6bee874.jpeg

BC19ACDF-032F-47A3-8121-62807CF7E4F8.thumb.jpeg.fc655f57bd39ff67f4ba19b18bdb271e.jpeg

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Colton V said:

Loggerhead Shrike, Burrowing Owl (Highway bird - no photos 😭), Zone-tailed Hawk, Rock Wren, Broad-tailed Hummingbird, and Northern Mockingbird. 

Yes, but I won’t be able to upload them until I get home on Sunday. Here’s a sneak peek... 

47FB8EE0-A2E1-4911-B07A-0BDCBD3781AF.thumb.jpeg.1213fd60feaa6d0d82263a35b6bee874.jpeg

BC19ACDF-032F-47A3-8121-62807CF7E4F8.thumb.jpeg.fc655f57bd39ff67f4ba19b18bdb271e.jpeg

SOOOOO jealous!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

You have mentioned "Hubby" several times. Who or what is Hubby?

I didn't think I'd mentioned him much at all. That is my husband of 34 1/2 years. Since retiring he is my birding buddy. Before that he would bird with me some but now always. He still isn't as much of a birder as I am. After we were done looking at the King Rail and getting photos he asked so what is it? Even though it was the bird we went to try to find.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Last few days I’ve gotten Grace’s Warbler, Virginia’s Warbler, Red-naped Sapsucker, Dusky Flycatcher, Cassin’s Finch, and Pygmy Nuthatch. Funny how most of these birds can easily be found in my home state but I had to travel 750 miles to see them. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Colton V said:

Funny how most of these birds can easily be found in my home state but I had to travel 750 miles to see them. 

I know, right?? I had to go all the way down to the RGV last year just to get a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher! And then of course they’re everywhere when I get back home… 😆

Edited by Seanbirds
  • Like 2