Whatbird Community

Lifers

15 hours ago, Clip said:

No residual scars from the chiggers but I do have two Fire Ant bites that continue to bother me and have marks from early spring. Had 24 bites from that encounter so I guess I'm probably lucky only two remain.

You counted them?🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/16/2021 at 6:35 PM, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Went up to Mount Greylock today and did some birding, but it wasn't that good for birding. Drove through the North Adams area as well. @TKbirdnear where you are, correct? We drove up near the three way point of Massachusetts, Vermont and New York, so really in a corner.

It's pretty hit or miss.  Migrators and elevation species are the main attractions, naturally.  DEJU, PUFI, BTBW, BTNW, BLBW, and YRWA are all reliable morning singers.  Nice to add WIFL and RBGU to the summit hotspot though.  I'm assuming you heard the former?  Flyover for the gull or did it land?

Yep, I'm 5 mins from VT and 15 mins from NY!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TKbird said:

It's pretty hit or miss.  Migrators and elevation species are the main attractions, naturally.  DEJU, PUFI, BTBW, BTNW, BLBW, and YRWA are all reliable morning singers.  Nice to add WIFL and RBGU to the summit hotspot though.  I'm assuming you heard the former?  Flyover for the gull or did it land?

Yep, I'm 5 mins from VT and 15 mins from NY!

Yes, heard and seen for the Willow Flycatcher. Gull was indeed a flyover. I get the other bird banding codes, but what's BTNW? Unfortunately no warblers, though my father thought he saw a tiny bird with some bright orange-red on it during the drive, which sounds a lot like Blackburnian, which I still haven't seen. I probably looked over your house from the summit, honestly. You can see so far from there, though it wasn't an especially clear day with some smoke from the western wildfires drifting over.

• Like 2

Finally got Rufous Hummingbirds today which had eluded me all spring and summer. There were at least 3 but likely 5 or 6 all in close proximity, battling over territory I assume. Time to pick a new nemesis bird.

Edited by neilpa
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, neilpa said:

Finally got Rufous Hummingbirds today which had eluded me all spring and summer. There were at least 3 but likely 5 or 6 all in close proximity, battling over territory I assume. Time to pick a new nemesis bird.

Wow, I’m a little bit in shock that it took a west-coaster that long to find a RUHU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

Wow, I’m a little bit in shock that it took a west-coaster that long to find a RUHU.

I’ve had a few probables before but were brief/distant looks that ended up as hummingbird sp.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

They’re real hard to spot, at least for me. They don’t perch out in the open like Anna’s do. The only way I can ever find them is by listening for their wing hum. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Colton V said:

They’re real hard to spot, at least for me. They don’t perch out in the open like Anna’s do. The only way I can ever find them is by listening for their wing hum. 

Do you have a hummingbird feeder?

Edited by Seanbirds
Wrong punctuation
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Colton V said:

Yea, I finally found mine that way, they sound quite different from Anna's.

34 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Do you have a hummingbird feeder?

Yup, but I've only ever seen Anna's on it

• Like 2