Whatbird Community

Lifers

On 9/26/2021 at 6:43 PM, PalmWarbler said:

Black Scoter (one of a group of ~15) from a while ago.

DSCN4679.thumb.JPG.f98a4690260d8606d7f831a1a3273cdc.JPG

You may only have a life list of 141, but this is one of the best Black Scoter photos I've ever seen on Whatbird. Nice Job!!

• Like 7

I got seventeen lifers during the past two day!!!

Northern Fulmar

Ashy Storm-Petrel

Black-footed Albatross

Pink-footed Shearwater

Pink-footed Shearwater

Buller's Shearwater

Buller's Shearwater

Sabine's Gull

Sabine's Gull

Parasitic Jaeger

Parasitic Jaeger

Pomarine Jaeger

Pomarine Jaeger

Long-tailed Jaeger

Long-tailed Jaeger

South Polor Skua

South Polar Skua

Black Storm-Petel

Black Storm-Petrel

Tufted Puffin

Tufted Puffin

Blackpoll Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Canada Warbler

Canada Warbler

Bobolink

Bobolink

Orchard Oriole

Orchard Oriole

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Aidan B said:

I got seventeen lifers during the past two day!!!

Northern Fulmar

Ashy Storm-Petrel

Black-footed Albatross

Pink-footed Shearwater

Pink-footed Shearwater

Buller's Shearwater

Buller's Shearwater

Sabine's Gull

Sabine's Gull

Parasitic Jaeger

Parasitic Jaeger

Pomarine Jaeger

Pomarine Jaeger

Long-tailed Jaeger

Long-tailed Jaeger

South Polor Skua

South Polar Skua

Black Storm-Petel

Black Storm-Petrel

Tufted Puffin

Tufted Puffin

Blackpoll Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Canada Warbler

Canada Warbler

Bobolink

Bobolink

Orchard Oriole

Orchard Oriole

Wowie!!

• Like 2

I saw my lifer Kirtland's Warbler today, in Baltimore, MD. It may be Maryland's first accepted record. It was foraging on the ground near water, and hopped within maybe four feet of some people. The photographs are amazing. It was found by a birder from Pennsylvania late on Monday.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Peromyscus said:

I saw my lifer Kirtland's Warbler today, in Baltimore, MD. It may be Maryland's first accepted record. It was foraging on the ground near water, and hopped within maybe four feet of some people. The photographs are amazing. It was found by a birder from Pennsylvania late on Monday.

Wow!! awesome! I saw some of those photos on the top photos of the day, they’re really good.

Edited by PalmWarbler
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

I saw that one roll through on the Facebook ABA group. There was one in NC recently, too!

• Like 4

On 10/6/2021 at 9:22 PM, meghann said:

I saw that one roll through on the Facebook ABA group. There was one in NC recently, too!

Not sure if this is the one you're talking about, but one showed up last fall about 20 minutes from my house in NC.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlueJay said:

Not sure if this is the one you're talking about, but one showed up last fall about 20 minutes from my house in NC.

Nope, it was found a little over a week ago, and was still continuing two days ago. Valle Crucis Community Park.

• Like 4

This weekend was productive!

First two were at a wastewater management plant:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/377278681

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

Western Sandpiper

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/377307251

Western Sandpiper

This one I got on the second try! Super fun to see this one. There had been 4 of them, as well as 4 MAWR, that were easily seen over the past couple of weeks. The grass in the field had been cut except for a couple feet right on the sides of the road. Plus rare Dickcissels!

Sedge Wren

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/377288011

Sedge Wren

These two came out of pure luck/misfortune. I was following Google Maps to a hotspot on my way back to Nashville from Memphis, when it told us to turn. Except, there wasn't a road, just someones driverway. So, we drove around, looking for service. Once we found enough, I was trying to figure out which way to go. So, as I'm slowly driving through a middle-of-nowhere neighborhood, glancing down at the map, when my mom in the passenger seat says "Hey, what were all those little white birds?" I almost had a heart attack when she followed that with, "They had skinny necks and legs." I threw it in reverse, and low and behold, Cattle Egrets!!!! And THEN, as I was admiring them, my mom points up into the sky. "What are those?" I look up, and see a flock of white and black birds. I literally just started basically yelling, "No way, NO way, what the F***!!! NO WAY!" American White Pelicans! Google Maps added a good half an hour to our trip, but also gave me two random lifers! I mean, what are the chances that those pelicans flew over at the exact time?

Cattle Egret

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/377294091

Cattle Egret

American White Pelican

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/377293641American White Pelican

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

Nice! I'm hoping it will head north again, and visit Maryland this time.

I thought it was nice of it to stay around the whole weekend, so those of us attending the Georgia Ornithological Society's fall meeting could try for it. Took me more than one try, but finally got him!

• Like 3

On 10/12/2021 at 12:05 AM, meghann said:

Hey @Clip look who I finally saw today! 4th time's a charm! 😂

DSCN3402

Nice! Congrats! I'm guessing it moved back into Georgia again. Poor thing probably just wants to find some of it's own kind. I seriously doubt it flew so off course. Probably came by boat through the Panama Canal I would guess.

On 10/11/2021 at 8:09 PM, Avery said:

I almost had a heart attack when she followed that with, "They had skinny necks and legs." I threw it in reverse, and low and behold, Cattle Egrets!!!!

Cattle Egret

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/377294091

Cattle Egret

If you ever come to Texas in the summer you will be sick and tired of see these....

Congrats on all the lifers! 

• Like 2