Whatbird Community

Lifers

1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

Great shot too, I can't even get a good one and I live in their usual range 😂

This bird's been ridiculously cooperative,  I've had better looks at it than I have of Ash-throated, which I see all summer long. 

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

So awesome, congrats! Great shot too, I can't even get a good one and I live in their usual range 😂

It is SO cooperative!

37 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

This bird's been ridiculously cooperative,  I've had better looks at it than I have of Ash-throated, which I see all summer long. 

THIS! I took around 600 GREAT photos of it! 

• Like 2

😂😪 Those two dark spots in the photo below are NOT specks on your screen. They are two of about 11 Vaux's Swifts that have inhabited the chimney in the photo as their night time roost. This is the 3rd time my husband and I have tried to get this bird. The first time in 2019 there was only one bird and while we saw it, if we had blink we would have missed it entirely. It appeared and disappeared into the chimney so fast you weren't even sure you saw anything. So we did not count it. This year more were being reported so we tried again. This time the Cooper's Hawk below kept the birds from flying in before it was too dark to see them. As they say the 3rd time is the charm but boy are they fast. We saw 11 of them and we saw them fairly well. Photo disappointing but life bird none the less.

133.JPG

034.JPG

• Like 5

On 12/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Nice! American Tree Sparrows have been crazy common here lately. I've also been really wanting a Snow Bunting...Any tips on how to find one?

Use your ebird alerts is probably the most important tip. Learn their sound is another good one. Like all small birds they are not easy to spot. But, if you hear them you know to look harder than you might otherwise.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Clip said:

Use your ebird alerts is probably the most important tip. Learn their sound is another good one. Like all small birds they are not easy to spot. But, if you hear them you know to look harder than you might otherwise.

Yes, learn their calls. They are frequent flyovers. 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 6:35 PM, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Snow Bunting...Any tips on how to find one?

On 12/31/2021 at 4:26 PM, Avery said:

They are frequent

Uhh no. Just no. Snow Buntings are not frequent anything. 🤣

Edited by Seanbirds
  • Haha 3