Whatbird Community

Lifers

2 minutes ago, IKLland said:

That’s a Black throated Blue Warbler.

Ty - I took the observation down right away and added one to the Black-throated Blue warbler count  I looked hard at my copy of Sibley Birds East, and thought it was an Indigo Bunting because of the very dark head area that contrasts with the lighter blue.  

I trust you, but please elaborate your correction and distinguish the species.

1 minute ago, dragon49 said:

Ty - I took the observation down right away and added one to the Black-throated Blue warbler count  I looked hard at my copy of Sibley Birds East, and thought it was an Indigo Bunting because of the very dark head area that contrasts with the lighter blue.  

Disregard my question.  I see the color contrast on other Black-throated Blue Warblers I've photographed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

The white belly and wing patch would not be present on an Indigo Bunting, and Indigos don't usually have obvious head contrast. They also have thicker bills.

I would trade you though, I've seen Indigo Buntings but no Black-throated Blue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe I saw the Wood Warbler in Signal Hill, CA today.  I was there from 2:00 - 4:30pm.  The bird showed up for about 2 minutes high in a eucalyptus at 180 East Columbia Street.  Another birder pointed it out.  I got 6 photos of it, but from my photos, I would not be able to positively identify it as a Wood Warbler.  Hopefully it will hang around for a while and I will get another chance at it.

2022-10-19_Wood_Warbler_0087_w.jpg

2022-10-19_Wood_Warbler_0088_w.jpg

2022-10-19_Wood_Warbler_0089_w.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Dan P said:

I believe I saw the Wood Warbler in Signal Hill, CA today.  I was there from 2:00 - 4:30pm.  The bird showed up for about 2 minutes high in a eucalyptus at 180 East Columbia Street.  Another birder pointed it out.  I got 6 photos of it, but from my photos, I would not be able to positively identify it as a Wood Warbler.  Hopefully it will hang around for a while and I will get another chance at it.

That looks good for Wood Warbler! Definitely a Phylloscopus. Awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dan P said:

100% the Wood Warbler!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1