Whatbird Community

Lifers

5 hours ago, dragon49 said:

This Greater Scaup is from yesterday.  I held off on the claim for a while, but local, much better birders than I are confident of the ID:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/610800148

I’m not necessarily doubting the ID, but I thought the distinct break of white to gray in the wing joint was a field mark for Lesser. Doesn’t Greater show mostly white through the wing or more gradual transition? Maybe it’s an artifact of the low res image, but I think your hesitance on calling this is warranted

Edited by neilpa
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, neilpa said:

I’m not necessarily doubting the ID, but I thought the distinct break of white to gray in the wing joint was a field mark for Lesser. Doesn’t Greater show mostly white through the wing or more gradual transition? Maybe it’s an artifact of the low res image, but I think your hesitance on calling this is warranted

4 hours ago, IKLland said:

This. Clearly this was a bird found in photo review and the ID is ambiguous from a photo of that quality. I personally wouldn’t call this. 

I'm keeping the ID from the advice of some of our top birders, and this was marked as rare and confirmed from my photos.  Two other observations (for the one bird in the same flock) were also confirmed.  I have access to better photos, but they weren't posted, and I don't have permission to use them.  

I always welcome feedback here but am not inviting or encouraging an argument or discussion between the experts here and my county experts.

I'm very diligent with lifers and am fine with keeping this one.

Edited by dragon49
  • Like 2