Whatbird Community

Lifers

I got 57 lifers on my 2-night trip to Arizona. Got a lot of photos to go through but the highlights include

• Elegant Trogon
  • Montezuma Quail
  • Elf Owl
  • Five-striped Sparrow
  • Red-faced Warbler
  • Grace's Warbler
  • Painted Redstart
  • Green Kingfisher
  • Berylline Hummingbird
  • Greater Pewee
  • Thick-billed Kingbird
  • Northern Beardless Tyrannulet
  • Arizona Woodpecker
  • Gilded Flicker
  • Zone-tailed Hawk
  • Harris's Hawk
  • Gray Hawk
  • Like 10

I'm not a birder and don't keep a "life list" per se, but I've known since I was a small child what a male Painted Bunting looks like, and never seen one in person until today. We had a few females appear on the feeder cam over the last week or two, so I've been hopeful that a male would appear. This morning that hope was realized. There's a hopper feeder almost directly above this clump of Monkey Grass, so it gets a lot of spillage.

• Like 3

Had six lifers in Barton/Stafford Counties yesterday: Western Cattle Egret (finally!), Sanderling, Dunlin, Red-necked Phalarope, Whimbrel, and Least Tern. @Seanbirds You've been to Quivira and Cheyenne Bottoms more than me, I presume (I've been twice now). Are any of these very good birds for there? Also had two Say's Phoebes at CB which was a state bird for me!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 1:51 PM, kansabirdguy said:

Had six lifers in Barton/Stafford Counties yesterday: Western Cattle Egret (finally!), Sanderling, Dunlin, Red-necked Phalarope, Whimbrel, and Least Tern. @Seanbirds You've been to Quivira and Cheyenne Bottoms more than me, I presume (I've been twice now). Are any of these very good birds for there? Also had two Say's Phoebes at CB which was a state bird for me!

Sweet. Yeah, the Least Tern, Dunlin and especially the Whimbrel are pretty decent finds for the area.

Still need those three for my own life list, actually! 😂

Edited by Seanbirds
  • Like 2

In the past two weeks doing Kirtland's Warbler surveys...

Spruce Grouse! One of a cryptic relic population in the Lower Peninsula.

And Mississippi Kite, the definition of being in the right place at the right time (first record for this half of the state). Photo credits to another member of my field crew who actually brought a camera 🫠

• Like 11

This morning got Red-masked Parakeet, sadly they escaped photos. Lifer 433.

Got word of a Philadelphia Vireo back in my home county, managed to chase it this evening! Lifer 434, and county bird 335!

• Like 7