Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
mfoster.vt

Unknown distant ducks in NC outer banks

I don't know if these ducks are identifiable, but seems that they might be just by the color pattern.  You can see by the first photo that they were quite distant.  I cropped the pics heavily in the next two pics to show what detail I could pick up.  Couldn't make out any detail with my binocs.  Looks like they have maybe brown heads, black throats and a longer bill.  I thought of Pintail because of the bill and  brown head, but they have a white throat.  Not sure what else would fit.  I just can't come up with anything else off the top of my head.

i-KCj6ZB4-L.jpg

i-sqJSHWv-XL.jpg

i-FVnd4m7-M.jpg

Definitely an Aythya, a.k.a. ”bay duck” of some sort.
The coloration - brown heads you point out, grayish bodies, black breasts - these are Redheads or Canvasbacks.

Head and bill shape looks like Redhead to me. Not the long, sloping forehead and bill like a Canvasback.

Pretty sure they’re Redheads.

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 3

Extreme crop on a female Redhead, note the head/bill shape, grayish brown coloration, paler spots on throat and around eye.

622FB819-8273-40B2-99B6-2BCD8D17BE80.png

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 1

Thanks to you both.  Redheads and Canvasbacks are quite rare where I live in S VT, so these are birds that I don't readily recognize.  I did get some much closer shots of both a couple days ago in MD on the way down here.  The head and bill shape do match Redhead, and now that I look the color patterning does as well.  Wish they were closer for better shots.