Whatbird Community

Florida/Texas road trip bird ID help #11

Hi all,

Ok, now one of the top locations of this trip - South Padre Island Birding and Nature Center. Small area and a lot of birds!
The colors on the photos can be misleading though as it was cloudy.

1) On eBird, looks like this one was identified as juvenile Spotted Sandpiper?

DSCN1145-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.47b8a6d83423e18483bb64091ee615ea.jpg

2) Common Yellowthroat?

DSCN1151-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.fbcea6c247516ceddf1d41ba62e82580.jpg

DSCN1152-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.91fab829878e1ec64fc8e6d6782fe340.jpg

3) Ok I'd normally say Mallard for these (esp. as this is our default duck in Europe), but 2 apparently much more experienced birders on eBird haven't reported any Mallards that morning, but reported Mottled Ducks or Mottled/Mallard hybrids?

DSCN1218-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.94f273212e85d24e052cd359cf54d794.jpg

DSCN1243-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.c7b7c7c8b31b3922530f4abc3e6ff8e6.jpg

4) Are these both Greather and Lesser Yellowlegs?

DSCN1305-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.c62b7810b5057c8f4ca850604d2564fd.jpg

DSCN1295-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.e94500d04346db6e0698d21edb7c041b.jpg

5) Oh my, was sure I got a lifer sparrow here, but this is just a female Red-Winged Blackbird????

DSCN1315-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.96fdf7ecda93ca97fc6478a363a726d5.jpg

DSCN1318-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.a866298b1a8b227fbd10fd968369b7e5.jpg

DSCN1324-spi-birding-w.thumb.jpg.616a961787a7f53965b300a275b2b377.jpg

Thanks,
Peter

Phalarope beat me... not that I'm an expert... 
1, 4, and 5 I agree are all correct.
Definitely some greater yellowlegs but I'm a little uncertain on the birds that are not greater yellowlegs....  Sometimes bird posture makes things tricky for me, especially with birds that all SORT OF look alike... HA.

As for the ducks, I was going to say that I think the bill on the female looks good for a mallard but don't quote me on that... and the male duck, I definitely want to call mottled. I had to look in my guide but I knew that if this is recent, 1. a male mallard would have breeding plumage... and 2. The white on the speculum next to the blue would be thicker on a mallard.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, millipede said:

As for the ducks, I was going to say that I think the bill on the female looks good for a mallard but don't quote me on that... and the male duck, I definitely want to call mottled. I had to look in my guide but I knew that if this is recent, 1. a male mallard would have breeding plumage... and 2. The white on the speculum next to the blue would be thicker on a mallard.

It's recent - 12 February 2020 🙂

2 separate eBirders, seemingly much more experienced than me (as they listed 60+ species, while I will be lucky if I hit 30), who were there at the same time, both listed Mottled, and one also listed Mottled/Mallard Hybrid, but none listed just Mallard. What's more, Frequency of Mallard on that location per eBird is 2-4%, 80-100% for Mottled.

I see now the bird in the middle doesn't have yellow legs. That one is probably a Willet?
But the one on the right looks much smaller than the one middle-top, the farthest away?

Juvenile Spotted Sandpipers do not have spots underneath and there are no juvenile Spotted Sandpipers at this time of year.

https://cobirds.org/CFO/ColoradoBirds/InTheScope/87.pdf

https://cobirds.org/CFO/ColoradoBirds/InTheScope/93.pdf

Mallards -- all ages, all sexes, have white or extensively white tails. This is a Mottled Duck.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/is-ebird-wordpress-prod-s3/wp-content/uploads/sites/55/eBird_Muddled_Ducks.pdf

Most New World sparrows have pink legs.

https://cobirds.org/CFO/ColoradoBirds/InTheScope/59.pdf

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I think female Red-winged Blackbirds are the #3 'Most Asked About' bird here, right behind scaups and accipters.

No wonder! Over here in Europe I had hard time telling female Eurasian Blackbird from a House Sparrow 🙂 In some poses they just looked so ... sparrowish. And in North America you  like 30+ sparrow species 🙂

• Like 1