Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
riverpoet

Florida/Texas road trip bird ID help #15

Hi all,

some more Anahuac birds where I need confirmation + some leftovers.

1) These are all Glossy Ibises right? Somehow most people seem to find both Glossy and White-faced at this location.

DSCN1770-anahuac-shoveler-w.thumb.jpg.b1633466e78a98c5d8dd3319face6abc.jpg

DSCN1827-anahuac-shoveler-w.thumb.jpg.a6e105d254c82aa9c1156e2ffcf41fa4.jpg

DSCN1830-anahuac-shoveler-w.thumb.jpg.2c4b8210a892196b88024f5ce2a5bf93.jpg

DSCN1693-anahuac-shoveler-w.thumb.jpg.1eff432823856f462099d3871803044c.jpg

DSCN1703-anahuac-shoveler-w.thumb.jpg.02d77a6f6e8aacf373dfd8b86eddf5bd.jpg

2) Savannah Sparrow??

P1190917-shoveler-w.thumb.jpg.f7ca83645d7cf2b2194c54a5286b9c19.jpg

3) Somehow these two don't seem like Northern Harriers?

DSCN1847-anahuac-shoveler-w.thumb.jpg.7d94df14dde440b7e2bd344012faeceb.jpg

DSCN1709-anahuac-shoveler-w.thumb.jpg.58b674418c15b3c36e7659477782a95c.jpg

DSCN1710-anahuac-shoveler-w.thumb.jpg.f1f598286b053db079179dfc8a4ed4e0.jpg

4) Ideas?

P1190843-galveston-w.jpg.d51d06442b8b147fa94439fa4550f688.jpg

5) Raven or crow?

P1190396-bigbend-w.jpg.3ec849a9b294a668e1f151ec90f07a68.jpg

Thanks
Peter

1. All look like Glossy, although the first birds seems slightly off. 
2. Savannah

3-4. Red-tailed Hawk

5. Raven with that massive bill

• Like 1

1 I think that first bird is a White-faced. Can Glossy Ibis have a Red iris?  I agree with glossy for the rest.

2 Yes!

3 Pass.

4 Red-tailed Hawk.

5 Pass.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kevin said:

1 I think that first bird is a White-faced. Can Glossy Ibis have a Red iris?  I agree with glossy for the rest.

2 Yes!

3 Pass.

4 Red-tailed Hawk.

5 Pass.

Yeah, looking at the first ibis more it definitely doesn’t seem like a Glossy. I could see this bird as a Glossy x White-faced. 

Edited by Phalarope713

1. Glossy x White-faced Ibis hybrid - red iris, mix of pink and blue in face, leg color seems closer to Glossy than White-faced but perhaps a bit brighter than usual for Glossy

2. Savannah Sparrow

3. Red-shouldered Hawk - messy birds but you can see the horizontal barring on the flight feathers

4. Red-tailed Hawk

5. Raven - if it was taken at Big Bend, does that mean Chihuahuan?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, akandula said:

3 is a juvenile Red-tailed -- too bulky for Red-shouldered and pale, not streaked, breast.

Yeah you're right sorry about that

If I remember correctly, Chihuahuan Ravens are more common than Common Ravens in west Texas, with the possible exception of high elevations such as in the Davis or perhaps Chisos Mountains

Edited by AlexHenry

7 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

If I remember correctly, Chihuahuan Ravens are more common than Common Ravens in west Texas, with the possible exception of high elevations such as in the Davis or perhaps Chisos Mountains

The photo was taken on the way to Big Bend, in fact a few miles after NP road sign, so not exactly in the mountains. Looking at eBird, people don't seem to be brave enough to mark ravens as Chihuahuan there 🙂

Thanks everyone, looks like I can give only a limited number of "reactions" (likes & thanks) per day, hah.

Ibises - both species would be lifers, but if I enter them as hybrids into eBird, I get 0 lifers 😛 So I'll just mark them as White-faced. If I remember correctly I can get Glossy in Europe as well.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, riverpoet said:

Thanks everyone, looks like I can give only a limited number of "reactions" (likes & thanks) per day, hah.

Ibises - both species would be lifers, but if I enter them as hybrids into eBird, I get 0 lifers 😛 So I'll just mark them as White-faced. If I remember correctly I can get Glossy in Europe as well.

I don''t want to be a killjoy but if you're marking these in eBird, remember that the results are used for more than personal lists.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I don''t want to be a killjoy but if you're marking these in eBird, remember that the results are used for more than personal lists.

For trips outside my home country and my usual locations nearby I always use Incidental + without any actual counts. Besides, most people marked White-faced in that location,

5 hours ago, riverpoet said:

For trips outside my home country and my usual locations nearby I always use Incidental + without any actual counts. Besides, most people marked White-faced in that location,

There is no White-faced Ibis in your pictures. There are several Glossy Ibis, and a Glossy x White-faced Ibis.

PS Regarding eBird - Incidental is for if birding is not your primary purpose, such as if you see a bird while driving by on the highway. If you purposefully go out birding, you shouldn't be doing an incidental list - you should be doing Traveling or Stationary. Also you should use counts if at all possible, rough estimates are fine. Counts don't have to be exact, and estimates are more valuable than merely recording presence/absence.

• Like 1

I use eBird app only when in my country or nearby, when I know the species. For other trips, I take photos of everything and do the checklists later. And even then, 90% of the time birding is the side activity and the primary purpose is hiking, sightseeing in National Parks etc.
I guess in my case the best protocol is Historical.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't submit the one bird as a White-faced, both because it isn't one (for the accuracy of your lists), and submitting it as a hybrid is certainly a valuable contribution to the eBird database.

38 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

Yeah I definitely wouldn't submit the one bird as a White-faced, both because it isn't one (for the accuracy of your lists), and submitting it as a hybrid is certainly a valuable contribution to the eBird database.

Ok, I changed it to Glossy + Glossy x White-faced Hybrid.

• Like 3