Whatbird Community

I live in Austin, TX and have heard this call for a couple of hours now. I have a video of the call but can’t seem to upload it here. The best way I can describe it would be a “hoo-HOO-hoo-HOOOO” with the lowercase hoos being short, and the last one being longer and dropping off. I thought owl initially but I’m not able to find a recording of an owl that sounds similar. Any help would be appreciated! (I haven’t been able to see the bird anywhere)

Edited by jordslexi
Adding video!

Just now, AlexHenry said:

Sounds like maybe a Barred Owl.

That was my thought too... but it sounded different to me since it wasn’t the stand “who-cooks-for-you” call. 

Sorry interpreted the last on dropping off being like the last phrase in "who cooks for you, who cooks for you all"

Other than that and Great Horned Owl, I'm not sure if there are any other options... doesn't sound like a screech owl, a barn owl, a long eared owl... I'm not sure what other options there are

Ahhh duh! Thanks everyone! I’ve been out of the birding game too long and missed something that obvious! 😉 thanks for the help!

3 minutes ago, jordslexi said:

Ahhh duh! Thanks everyone! I’ve been out of the birding game too long and missed something that obvious! 😉 thanks for the help!

Then welcome back to birding! A lot of the time calls are hard, so don't feel to bad.🙂