Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mindy Smith

Type of kingbird, rc kinglet confirm and saw a scaly-breasted mania

Was birding around the lagoon at Pismo Beach Oceano, CA campground area. Saw what I thought was a Western Kingbird but Cassin's is apparently seen here, and I have never seen one, so wanted to be sure. Also, still in search of Hutton's vireo but think this is also a ruby-crowned kinglet so need confirmation (figures 2 and 3 same bird). Finally, surprised to find a scaly-breasted munia - adult and maybe immature unless females also are yellow. They traveled together. First ever and wanted to share. Thanks in advance

DSCN1698.JPG

DSCN1722.JPG

DSCN1720 RC Kinglet.JPG

DSCN1704.JPG

Scaly-breasted munia immature?.JPG

1. Definitely not Cassin's, Cassin's is darker gray in color on the head and breast. 

2. Hutton's Vireo, notice the overall olive coloration, Ruby crowned Kinglet has more yellow coloration in the flight feathers, also this bird lacks a black bar on the bottom of the lower white wing bar, has all dark legs and feet, a robust bill, and pale lores. Congrats!

3.  Last 2 birds are indeed Scaly-breasted Munia.

59 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

1. Definitely not Cassin's, Cassin's is darker gray in color on the head and breast. 

2. Hutton's Vireo, notice the overall olive coloration, Ruby crowned Kinglet has more yellow coloration in the flight feathers, also this bird lacks a black bar on the bottom of the lower white wing bar, has all dark legs and feet, a robust bill, and pale lores. Congrats!

3.  Last 2 birds are indeed Scaly-breasted Munia.

I agree with 2 and 3. But I pass on 1.

Just now, Kevin said:

I agree with 2 and 3. But I pass on 1.

Haha notice that I did not say what species I think 1 is, just that it is not Cassin's. Is it Western Kingbird? Probably. Is it Tropical Kingbird? Possibly. Lol I kinda struggle with kingbirds sometimes.

Both Western and Cassin's kingbird have pale outer webs on the outermost rectrix -- and outer webs only, not the whole outermost tail feather. Western's outer webs are simply whiter and more extensive, running virtually the full length of the feather.

Cassin's

Western

Can someone explain to me why that is a Western Kingbird, not a Tropical Kingbird? The bill is fairly large and I do not see any white on the outer tail feathers.

Tropical is also more likely in winter in San Luis Obispo County:

22E89190-A2CD-4F40-A28F-DB1909159C6F.thumb.png.51602d08a4c4f7c73f00ee2945817748.png

Edited by AlexHenry

Oh, I didn't realize that about the tail feathers. FWIW, I have seen Tropical, Cassin's, and Western. I definitely have the most experience with Western and the breast looks too yellow and the bill too large for Western, which is why I would have said Tropical. I ruled it out because I had it in mind it was rare, haha... definitely not Cassin's. Not gray enough. So yeah, looks good for Tropical to me. 

The outermost rectrices on the kingbird are not what appear to be the outermost rectrices. A fairly strong whitish line can be seen interior to the apparent tail edge on the right side of the tail -- that is the r6 outer web. There is also a piece of what might be the left-side r6 outer web visible just below the branch. Perhaps those are just both my imagination, but that's what they look like to me.

I agree that Western is rare at this time of year and that Cassin's is the default kingbird there. While the bill looks a wee bit long, there is some variation in bill length in Western. Additionally, the bill does not look particularly thick, as Tropical ought to show. Obviously, more pix would be helpful, as single photos often provide deceiving appearance.

• Like 1