Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
dragon49

South Florida Duck ID needed

I believe that is a male Mallard X Mottled hybrid (with probably more Mottled duck than Mallard). The tail has Mallard characteristics, and the head and chest look like a Mottled Duck. The bill shows no black which would be highly unusual for a female Mallard.

• Like 1

I think that it looks fine for a badly over-exposed Mottled Duck. It's now late February, and the outer webs of Mottled Duck tails feathers are getting old and bleached, giving the bird a pale edge to the tail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

I think that it looks fine for a badly over-exposed Mottled Duck. It's now late February, and the outer webs of Mottled Duck tails feathers are getting old and bleached, giving the bird a pale edge to the tail.

Tony Leukering knows more about Mottled Ducks and their crosses with Mallards than anyone in the country, so if he says it is a Mottled Duck then it's a Mottled Duck. But being argumentative and curious I must ask, shouldn't we be able to see some indication of a gape spot even with the severe overexposure.

Here are some more pictures of the duck in question with better lighting.  There are only two additional ones, but I enlarged them, hence the four embedded pictures.  If I ever get an actual camera with a good zoom, I'll make these IDs much easier.  For now, I do what I can with my iPhone.  Do the better quality pictures make it clear whether this is a pure Mottled Duck, or one crossed with a Mallard?

Ty.

hMCMiiM.jpg

1k7s02I.jpg

dw58wzs.jpg

l9C3nys.jpg

Edited by dragon49

As could be expected, Tony Leukering is exactly right. A gape spot is clearly visible in these photos and the better coloring shows the tail is not as white as I thought.

• Like 1