Whatbird Community
Rudebird

Sharp-shinned or Cooper's

I saw this accipiter flying over Meadow Park in San Luis Obispo, CA and assumed it was a Cooper's Hawk, which is not uncommon here. But when it landed on a tall sycamore a few meters below a White-tailed Kite, I could see that it was significantly smaller than the Kite. So, I now think it was a Sharp-shinned Hawk. I included a photo with both birds for a size reference (pic #3 hawk is lower left, kite is upper right).

IMG_4417[1].JPG

IMG_4420[1].JPG

IMG_4418[1].JPG

I’m not sure. But I don’t know how to delete my comment. 
definitely seemed like a Cooper’s to me at first with the graduated length of the tail feathers. 

Edited by gstacks

40 minutes ago, gstacks said:

How does one delete a comment?

If you hover over the upper right corner of the post, a hidden 'Report Post' link will appear.  You can use it to ask the mods to delete it.

If I can get to it fast enough, I usually just edit it and delete all the content.  Or just live with it.  When you're wrong as often as I am, you get calluses on your ego.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I agree with adult Sharp-shinned Hawk (small size, small, rounded head, dark nape, shorter tail, pencil-thin legs).

I agree.

A local birder saw my pics and sees a Cooper's Hawk, pointing out the rounded tip to the tail and said the size is closer to Cooper's.

7 hours ago, Jefferson Shank said:

agreed

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

It is definitely a Sharp-shinned Hawk. 

A local birder thinks it's a Cooper's based on the rounded tip to the tail and thinks the size is good for Cooper's.

5 hours ago, Rudebird said:

A local birder saw my pics and sees a Cooper's Hawk, pointing out the rounded tip to the tail and said the size is closer to Cooper's.

Both of those characteristics are deceiving in the field. This is 100% a Sharp-shinned Hawk for the reasons @The Bird Nuts stated. Additionally, note the bug-eyed look.

Both of those characteristics are deceiving in the field. This is 100% a Sharp-shinned Hawk for the reasons @The Bird Nuts stated. Additionally, note the bug-eyed look.

I agree with adult Sharp-shinned Hawk (small size, small, rounded head, dark nape, shorter tail, pencil-thin legs).

Definitely a Sharp-shinned Hawk.