Whatbird Community

Marbled Godwit in NC??

I have been hoping to see some Marbled Godwit here at Pea Island, NC but have come up blank, till today.  I think.  I took a couple of pics of these far off birds just to see if I could ID them, and I think that they are the Godwits.  Only wish I could have been closer for the photos.  Just want to confirm my ID.  Second pic is cropped from the first.

i-PzwtmTm-XL.jpg

i-92Qwb8J-XL.jpg

Just now, blackburnian said:

Those are godwits. I saw the same flock at Pea Island a few weeks ago, about 120 over the marsh at the visitor center. There’s always a flock present at the refuge in winter.

Sounds like a good spot to check for Bar-tailed Godwit in May and September... Chincoteague in Virginia is also a good spot. Those can be tough to get on the east coast... 

10 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Sounds like a good spot to check for Bar-tailed Godwit in May and September... Chincoteague in Virginia is also a good spot. Those can be tough to get on the east coast... 

I believe there’s been a few records there, maybe? Didn’t VA get a Black-tailed a couple of years ago? NC does have a long-staying Bar-tailed that winters on the southern banks.