Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
mfoster.vt

Marbled Godwit in NC??

I have been hoping to see some Marbled Godwit here at Pea Island, NC but have come up blank, till today.  I think.  I took a couple of pics of these far off birds just to see if I could ID them, and I think that they are the Godwits.  Only wish I could have been closer for the photos.  Just want to confirm my ID.  Second pic is cropped from the first.

i-PzwtmTm-XL.jpg

i-92Qwb8J-XL.jpg

Those are godwits. I saw the same flock at Pea Island a few weeks ago, about 120 over the marsh at the visitor center. There’s always a flock present at the refuge in winter.

• Like 2

Just now, blackburnian said:

Those are godwits. I saw the same flock at Pea Island a few weeks ago, about 120 over the marsh at the visitor center. There’s always a flock present at the refuge in winter.

Sounds like a good spot to check for Bar-tailed Godwit in May and September... Chincoteague in Virginia is also a good spot. Those can be tough to get on the east coast... 

10 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Sounds like a good spot to check for Bar-tailed Godwit in May and September... Chincoteague in Virginia is also a good spot. Those can be tough to get on the east coast... 

I believe there’s been a few records there, maybe? Didn’t VA get a Black-tailed a couple of years ago? NC does have a long-staying Bar-tailed that winters on the southern banks. 

The only place in the world in which all four of the world's godwit species were present on the same date is on the East Coast. Just sayin'. I know that this used to be true, whether it still is, given the much, much larger birding effort in the world, I know not.