Whatbird Community

L.A. and San Diego Trip Help

Any recommended areas to see birds near San Diego and Los Angeles? Trying to see condors, California quail, jays, sea birds, etc. Coming from the Midwest so I'm trying to get as many species as possible. Looking through national parks some are closed for hiking due to condor populations. Any information is greatly appreciated! We are set to go to the channel islands to check out island scrub jays already! Getting excited! We are going end of April to early May.

Lake Piru Rec Area is about 1 hr north of LA. I found it while doing some research for condor sites prior to my last business trip out there. Unfortunately I did not make it there as my business plans got rerouted to Hawaii.  Here is a link to my info request last year... Jimbob mentions some other LA area locations in his comments. Good luck.

1 hour ago, birdbrain22 said:

Lake Piru Rec Area is about 1 hr north of LA. I found it while doing some research for condor sites prior to my last business trip out there. Unfortunately I did not make it there as my business plans got rerouted to Hawaii.  Here is a link to my info request last year... Jimbob mentions some other LA area locations in his comments. Good luck.

Did you forget to post the link birdbrain22? :classic_unsure:

I like Pinnacles National Park for Condors but that may be too far from LA

Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve in San Diego is good for White-tailed Kite, California Thrasher, California Towhee, etc

The shoreline of La Jolla can give good looks at some western waterbirds, like Brandt's Cormorants 

Bolsa Chica in Orange County is great for a wide variety of herons and egrets, terns, shorebirds, waterfowl, etc

The mouth of the San Diego River near Sea World can be great for birds like Cinnamon Teal, Long-billed Curlew, Little Blue Heron

Upper Newport Bay Preserve is good for California Gnatcatcher and Allen's Hummingbird