Whatbird Community

Wigeon American Eurasian?

East of Sudbury Ontario.  Last Eurasian seen here was 2002 on ebird.   What do you think?  I'm not experienced with either species and have only seen an American Wigeon a few times but the head looks more Eurasian based on photos online and it said to look at the feathers white or silver but hard to tell in photo.   Any tips to ID if it is possible with this photo?  Thanks.  

DSC_2675.jpg

Looks perfectly fine for an American. Location and season-wise, the chances of a Eurasian turning up are pretty much zero. Anyways, sitting, silent Eurasian gray-morph females and juveniles are almost impossible to tell from Americans. Safe to assume any bird that looks like this in these circumstances is an American.

1 hour ago, Buddym said:

Okay thank you Thunderbird.  I guess I need a book that has early and late dates for my region in it to help with ID.  Thanks for pointing that out as a way for ID.

I found eBird to be a very useful site for this. Go to eBird.org and click on Explore. Then, go to Bar Charts, and then pick your region and what species you want. Here's what the chart looks like for Eurasian Wigeon in Ontario: 

image.png

Edited by Thunderbird
  • Like 1