Whatbird Community

Shot this bird a Lesser Scaup I believe in Maryland with a ton of other Lesser Scaups. My question is the body is female yet the head looks more male then female. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

scaup.JPG

I am no expert on Scaups but I don't think the males have any white on the face? I would lean female  here but wait for the experts.

15 hours ago, Jefferson Shank said:

100% female Lesser Scaup.

Easy to call immature male Lesser Scaup here... when one knows what they are looking at and not just guessing. Sometimes better not to comment and see the actual ID and learn something.

• Thanks 2

Easy to call immature male Lesser Scaup here... when one knows what they are looking at and not just guessing. Sometimes better not to comment and see the actual ID and learn something.

Sorry! I wasn't aware that the immature males ever have a white patch at the base of the bill.

The picture of the immature male in the bird guide doesn't have the white patch... (and that threw me for a loop)

On 3/4/2020 at 9:22 PM, birdbrain22 said:

Savage... we all make mistakes

• Like 1