Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Melierax said:

Out of likes, but yeah. The link supplied above shows it. Generally rolling shutter happens in lower light and in lower end cameras or cameras not meant to take high quality footage, like phone cameras or trail cams. 

Sorry, I missed the link initially.  It sounds like the camera sensors are responsible.  If I haven't seen it with mine by now, I probably don't have to worry about avoiding it. 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Okay, so if that's an American Robin, why is there not white tips to the outer tail feathers?

100% not American Robin.

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Okay, so if that's an American Robin, why is there not white tips to the outer tail feathers?

100% not American Robin.

Apparently you've never been out west? :classic_laugh::classic_laugh: All jokes aside, the western subspecies doesn't have white tips and if they do they're very minimal. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Okay, so if that's an American Robin, why is there not white tips to the outer tail feathers?

100% not American Robin.

Wear and tear?  I'm not familiar with robin's molt cycles.

I'm just raising the possibility.  I'm not saying it is or isn't an AMRO; heck, I'm only recently convinced it's actually a bird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Okay, so if that's an American Robin, why is there not white tips to the outer tail feathers?

100% not American Robin.

I can see a slight fringe of white on the tail of the bird in the first photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Melierax said:

Apparently you've never been out west? :classic_laugh::classic_laugh: All jokes aside, the western subspecies doesn't have white tips and if they do they're very minimal. 

Well apparently I don't pay enough attention to robins...

I concede - you all have been right all along. Don't know why I was so confused by this. I'm gonna go hide and pretend none of this happened.

Edited by AlexHenry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AlexHenry said:

Well apparently I don't pay enough attention to robins...

I concede - you all have been right all along. Don't know why I was so confused by this.

Out of likes. When I went out east I was super surprised to see robins with prominent white tail tips. If I hadn't noticed I would have never known... :classic_laugh:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I'm gonna go hide and pretend none of this happened.

That's how I feel sometimes too when I identify a bird wrong or make a wrong statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Well apparently I don't pay enough attention to robins...

I concede - you all have been right all along. Don't know why I was so confused by this. I'm gonna go hide and pretend none of this happened.

Join me and the buzzards over here; I have some scraps left. 

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jefferson Shank said:

That's how I feel sometimes too when I identify a bird wrong or make a wrong statement.

Don't worry about it.  You'll likely never meet any of these people. :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Melierax said:

Out of likes. When I went out east I was super surprised to see robins with prominent white tail tips. If I hadn't noticed I would have never known... :classic_laugh:

I didn't even know any of them had white tail tips... :classic_ninja:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey, @strange bird, you out there?  I apologize for the hostility of my initial posts.  It was a long work day, and the network server I was working on was taking hours longer to process updates than expected.  In short, I had a bad day and I took it out on you.  Please don't think this forum is normally like that. 

Sorry.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

... if that blob in the upper right of the second photo is a bird, I'm John James Audubon. 

 

... heck, I'm only recently convinced it's actually a bird.

I never would have guessed John James Audubon would take the time to post on these forums.  😉

Edited by Jim W
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jim W said:

I never would have guessed John James Audubon would take the time to post on these forums.  😉

It's hard to fit the time in, what with arranging licensing agreements for my art, managing an international ornithology organization, apologizing for those specimens I mounted (who knew that would be wrong?), putting Peterson and Sibley on hold so I can talk to Greta, etc.  But y'all are worth it.  :classic_cool:

Oh, and the record, I'm only recently convinced the FIRST photo is a bird.  The second one looks like something the Enterprise took on in the original series.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

 The second one looks like something the Enterprise took on in the original series.

Yeah, the Romulan warship!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

It's hard to fit the time in, what with arranging licensing agreements for my art, managing an international ornithology organization, apologizing for those specimens I mounted (who knew that would be wrong?), putting Peterson and Sibley on hold so I can talk to Greta, etc.  But y'all are worth it.  :classic_cool:

I would have never guessed that John James Audubon would have picked Charlie Spencer for his false name. It was also very convincing that you pretend not to rember things like that viros have blue feat.:classic_biggrin:

  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

The most incompetent, maybe,

No, not at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspected that the UFO in the first photo was an artifact of sorts showing the wings separated from the body, but I had never heard of rolling shutter effect before and had no idea how the artifact/UFO came to be until reading this thread. Thanks for enlightening me.

*smears @Charlie Spencer with offal and stakes him out for the vultures knowing that he has opened this thread yet again* 😀

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're all agreed that this is a robin. Either that or someone's errant toupee. I'm still curious as to what will happen if this thread reaches 100 posts. Will there be a ding ding ding ding ding? Will the 100th poster win a Whatbird Forum t-shirt, or maybe a signed copy of John James Audubon's latest book--How To Eat Your Floppy Birders Hat With Aplomb? Or will the 100th post crash the whole forum? What are the odds?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the first image is a promotional plug for a dayton brewery (and a good one at that).  so we have an amro and a beer ad.  beer and birds, not a bad day. 😉

 

image.jpeg.d763a2806b5e2cbacf7ae0ee1b89f9bb.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dose any one realize that soon there will be five pages?

5 hours ago, HamRHead said:

I think we're all agreed that this is a robin. Either that or someone's errant toupee. I'm still curious as to what will happen if this thread reaches 100 posts. Will there be a ding ding ding ding ding? Will the 100th poster win a Whatbird Forum t-shirt, or maybe a signed copy of John James Audubon's latest book--How To Eat Your Floppy Birders Hat With Aplomb? Or will the 100th post crash the whole forum? What are the odds?

This was number 99.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...