Jump to content
Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Here is a voice memo I took of an owl I heard tonight. Sounded too low + slow for a Pygmy-Owl, so I think it is a Long-eared Owl, but would like confirmation as that is flagged as rare on eBird. Sorry for all the crickets and frogs in the recording, but the owl can be heard best about 0:20 - 0:35 in the recording, I find I can hear it best with no headphones but putting my ear near the speaker on my phone/computer.

213695081.m4a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can hear, it but I do not think it is identifiable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

I can hear, it but I do not think it is identifiable.

Fair enough. I'm gonna have to figure out a better way to make sound recordings of birds. I could hear it better in reality and I'm pretty confident of the ID but not 100% sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

 

Fair enough. I'm gonna have to figure out a better way to make sound recordings of birds. I could hear it better in reality and I'm pretty confident of the ID but not 100% sure.

This is something I've been wanting to try.  How did you make this recording, and what do you hope to try?  Even knowing what not to do is useful.  I think The Bird Nuts recently suggest using a camera to capture the sound by recording a video.  I've never made a video with my camera and had no clue it would record the sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

This is something I've been wanting to try.  How did you make this recording, and what do you hope to try?  Even knowing what not to do is useful.  I think The Bird Nuts recently suggest using a camera to capture the sound by recording a video.  I've never made a video with my camera and had no clue it would record the sound.

I just used the "voice memos" app on my smartphone, which creates .m4a files, apparently .wav files are better because they are not compressed. 

Here's an eBird article about it, wish I'd read this a few days ago:

https://ebird.org/camerica/news/open-mic-a-better-and-simpler-way-to-record-bird-sounds-with-smartphones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use my camera. I just take a video, and it records the sound very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Voice Record Pro, a free app that seems to work pretty well. I then edit the files on audacity and upload them to ebird. On audacity you can isolate certain parts of the file (such as owl hoots in this instance) and amplify them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phalarope713 said:

I use Voice Record Pro, a free app that seems to work pretty well. I then edit the files on audacity and upload them to ebird. On audacity you can isolate certain parts of the file (such as owl hoots in this instance) and amplify them. 

Believe it or not I just downloaded that app today... I have not downloaded audacity, nor have I ever used it before, so that may be a learning process...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

This is something I've been wanting to try.  How did you make this recording, and what do you hope to try?  Even knowing what not to do is useful.  I think The Bird Nuts recently suggest using a camera to capture the sound by recording a video.  I've never made a video with my camera and had no clue it would record the sound.

I use this mic with my phone, and fuzzy windscreen over the mic.  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XC6KHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really reminds me of a Flammulated Owl, but I don't think that's possible this time of year in your area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Melierax said:

It really reminds me of a Flammulated Owl, but I don't think that's possible this time of year in your area. 

They might migrate through my area, but that would be in May, and they are almost never observed in migration - I think there is one record for my county, from May. I was wondering that myself too though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...