Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Pneumabird

Large Pennsylvania bird

What large bird has a dark Zorro mask around its eyes, red eyes, reddish orange hooked bill, light grey roundish body, muted yellow and dark grey wing design. It didn't fly just was hopping along the ridge of a mountain trail. Maybe a pigeon or a young hawk? About twelve inches from head to tail. I can't seem to find it online. The mask was distinctive, very pretty!

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Whatbird!

Let's start with this Sharp-Shinned Hawk.  I'm pretty sure it is NOT your bird, but can you compare your bird to it?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Sharp-shinned_Hawk/

EDIT: or maybe this American Kestrel?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Kestrel/overview

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

Thanks so much!

I don't think either of those are right but could be. The body was just plain light grey and fatter than those. Maybe I'll see it again today on the trail! Looking up all the different types of birds was fun. Maybe I'll start a new hobby

Okay, stick with us.  This post hasn't been up long and there are a lot of better IDers that may not have seen it yet.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jerry!

I think that might be it, the Chukar. There are farms and homes at the base of the mountain probably a mile or two away. I didn't see it again today. I thought it was strange how close the bird allowed me to get, which may explained by it being from a farm. Chukar! Very exciting.. Going to look more up about them.

It didn't really walk a lot, took a few steps.. but did hop a few times up onto a fallen tree and then onto nearby fallen branches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pneumabird said:

Thanks Jerry!

I think that might be it, the Chukar. There are farms and homes at the base of the mountain probably a mile or two away. I didn't see it again today. I thought it was strange how close the bird allowed me to get, which may explained by it being from a farm. Chukar! Very exciting.. Going to look more up about them.

It didn't really walk a lot, took a few steps.. but did hop a few times up onto a fallen tree and then onto nearby fallen branches.

Glad I could help!  If it came from a farm, there are many possibilities.  You might also want to look at the Red-legged Partridge, which is very similar to the Chukar.

And if you want to get into birdwatching, your timing is good, as there will be a lot of birds migrating through Pennsylvania in spring, including very colorful ones, especially in May.  You can look in a bird guide at the possibilities for your area, and then recognize them as they show up.  Not that you'll see all of them in your first spring!  It's very helpful to find bird walks or field trips in your local parks so you can go with experienced birders.  People here will be glad to answer any questions about resources and such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was totally blanking on the reddish eye/reddish billed and not thinking non-natives. Good call on the Chukar Jerry.

• Like 1