Whatbird Community

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Shorebirds in general. I haven't been birding all that long so I have no experience with them. I have gone to places many times hoping to see shorebirds but it's never worked out... wrong time of year, wrong habitat, just bad luck. The only sandpiper I've seen since I started birding is Least Sandpiper. I think I only have five shorebird species on my life list in general. 

17 minutes ago, Colton V said:

Shorebirds in general. I haven't been birding all that long so I have no experience with them. I have gone to places many times hoping to see shorebirds but it's never worked out... wrong time of year, wrong habitat, just bad luck. The only sandpiper I've seen since I started birding is Least Sandpiper. I think I only have five shorebird species on my life list in general. 

Looks like along the Columbia river waterfront there have been a good amount of Wilson Snipe, and some Spotted Sandpiper right now.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Looks like along the Columbia river waterfront there have been a good amount of Wilson Snipe, and some Spotted Sandpiper right now.

I was just there yesterday where the Sandy river meets the Columbia. Just a large expanse of sandy shoreline and mud. It seemed perfect for shorebirds, but I didn’t see any. Maybe it was the wrong habitat or I didn’t look hard enough or there just weren’t any at that location. It’s just frustrating because I’ve been going to places where other people see shorebirds but I’ve never had any luck. 

I’ve seen snipes, but I’ve never seen Spotted Sandpiper. What habitat do those like to hang out in?

Edited by Colton V
51 minutes ago, Colton V said:

I was just there yesterday where the Sandy river meets the Columbia. Just a large expanse of sandy shoreline and mud. It seemed perfect for shorebirds, but I didn’t see any. Maybe it was the wrong habitat or I didn’t look hard enough or there just weren’t any at that location. It’s just frustrating because I’ve been going to places where other people see shorebirds but I’ve never had any luck. 

I’ve seen snipes, but I’ve never seen Spotted Sandpiper. What habitat do those like to hang out in?

I often find Spotted Sandpiper on the shores of lakes, or on rock shores of rivers and oceans bobbing about. Go to any mountain river in the summer and you are sure to find them there.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Why don’t you let us know your most needed birds. 

Alright. Here are the most important ones to me:

Eared Grebe

Green Heron (This one has been trying to avoid me since the day I started birding) :classic_angry:

Upland Sandpiper

EASTERN SCREECH OWL!!:classic_angry::classic_angry::classic_angry:

Brown Creeper

Lapland Longspur

Grasshopper Sparrow

54 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Alright. Here are the most important ones to me:

Eared Grebe

Green Heron (This one has been trying to avoid me since the day I started birding) :classic_angry:

Upland Sandpiper

EASTERN SCREECH OWL!!:classic_angry::classic_angry::classic_angry:

Brown Creeper

Lapland Longspur

Grasshopper Sparrow

For LALO I would check here in around a month. 37.3321,-97.2410.  They have been seen a good couple times and the habitat looks great for them

• Thanks 1

My current nemesis bird, that literally everyone in my party saw except me every time I went to look for it, which was around 5 times, is Nelson’s Sparrow. And, I’ll have to wait for next year to try again in the fall. 😠

Other most wanted criminals:

Mourning Warbler, Gray Jay, Redhead, Gadwall, Golden Eagle, Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow-throated Vireo

Time Machine Bird: Northern Hawk Owl

3 years before I started birding there was one 10 minutes from my house 😢 

Edited by Avery
16 minutes ago, Avery said:

Time Machine Bird: Northern Hawk Owl

3 years before I started birding there was one 10 minutes from my house 😢 

Yeah, in 1970 something there was a GWWA in my backyard! (Slo county)

I think most of my nemesis birds would just be the relatively common species of areas I’ve gone to before I got eBird. I know theres a lot I would have been able to add if I was paying attention... especially in eastern Canada, the Caribbean, Florida, and Mexico. Honestly pains me to think of what I probably saw there 😭

Right now I’m trying hard for the winter migrants. I have a lot of respect for birds that decide to call the far North their home. 
Northern Shrike—Missed them earlier this year after trying specifically for them. Hoping to find one tomorrow where one was reported today. 

Snow Buntings—One of my favourite birds. Lots get reported outside of the city, but have to drive aimlessly on old farm roads.

Snowy Owl— One time maybe 10+ years ago when my friends mom threw a rock in a tree full of cawing crows, I swear a snowy owl flew out of it. Yet, it honestly makes no sense as it was in the middle of the city and was either in the spring, summer, or fall.... They get reported to the East of the city all the time, but can’t find anyone willing to go with me to drive around looking for one. Can’t blame them! 

Also Collared Aracari. When I was in Costa Rica earlier this year that was my #1 bird to find. The one day where I didn’t walk around at Sunrise, they were reported directly across from where I was staying. Someone also reported Scarlet Macaws the same day.... Was going to go back there later this year, but COVID said maybe next year.