Whatbird Community

Cackling geese in S VT?

Got these pics today.  I was mostly scoping and counting a large flock of geese (over 1200) and spotted several candidates for Cackling geese while doing so.  I then shot pics of the whole flock.  They were on a distant shore, so these pics are highly cropped.  I looked through about 2 dozen pics I had of them.  There were multiple geese that I would say are candidates for hybrids, but these seemed to stand out as probably Cackling.  Just seeing what folks here think.

i-V7nz3pG-XL.jpg

The 2 on the left in this photo

i-6CHr4Fm-XL.jpg

The one in the center foreground here.

Without better photos, I'd call these small Canadas. Canada Geese vary tremendously in size; here in Colorado, a large Canada can be nearly double the size of a smaller one (most of this variation is based on subspecies). Also, the bill looks very long and I would expect a Cackling to be stubbier overall.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

Without better photos, I'd call these small Canadas. Canada Geese vary tremendously in size; here in Colorado, a large Canada can be nearly double the size of a smaller one (most of this variation is based on subspecies). Also, the bill looks very long and I would expect a Cackling to be stubbier overall.

Agreed with this.

Without better photos, I'd call these small Canada's. Canada Geese vary tremendously in size; here in Colorado, a large Canada can be nearly double the size of a smaller one (most of this variation is based on subspecies). Also, the bill looks very long and I would expect a Cackling to be stubbier overall.

Agreed.