Whatbird Community
bpresby

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (checking)

Not a great photo, he would not turn around.  Take this morning in Orange County, CA

I think it is a Ruby-crowned Kinglet as I know some are in the area.  

IMG_6975.jpg.bb746fed31174cf6a4292925a9547ddd.jpg

IMG_6979.jpg.edf79aa0bc8abb8e916dc0729017ab1c.jpg

and just a shot of 9 friends that love our newly seeded lawn (at least the seeds).  White-crowned Sparrows and House Finches I believe.

IMG_6983.thumb.jpg.652821f53c8b46a3199f49d114009a55.jpg 

Posted (edited)

Definitely NOT a ruby-crowned but I'm not sure what it is - I'd guess fly catcher family. Bill is way too large,  etc.  I'd say yes to the other two id's.  

Edited by SirVive

Western Flycatcher? And yes, white crowned sparrows and House finches, but what about the bird on the top left with the clean underparts? Not sure about that one.

2 minutes ago, SirVive said:

Definitely NOT a ruby-crowned but I'm not sure what it is - I'd guess fly catcher family. Bill is way too large,  etc.  I'd say yes to the other two id's.  

Yes looks like a Western or Cassin's Kingbird, I'm kind of leaning Western Kingbird.

Kingbird. Western or Cassin's I will not say.

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Kingbird. Western or Cassin's I will not say.

Bill is clearly too small for Tropical, so I agree its between Western and Cassin's. I think people mistakenly assume Tropical Kingbirds are rare in California in winter.

Beyond that... Western Kingbirds are on the move now, so it could be either. I don't see a white tip on the tail, but that could be due to the photo. Either way, I am leaning towards Western Kingbird but am unsure.

Thanks. Now that I look at it, it is a Kingbird and most likely Western  There are Cassin's in the area as well, but I think Western is more likely.

The bill is way too long and deep for a kinglet of any sort and the obvious white fringes to the greater coverts also rule out kinglets.

Cassin's Kingbird -- the white bit on the face ends at the back of the eye and ends in a sharp demarcation, neither of which feature is typical of Western Kingbird.