Whatbird Community

Hi all, just like to confirm if possible that the bird on the right in these photos is a Horned Grebe. Sorry for the bad pics, they were quite a bit away. Seen today in southeast M.I. Thanks!RSCN9678.thumb.JPG.df997fce9e1e74e29a96ad2d14d47044.JPGRSCN9680.thumb.JPG.aba3d53204b577aaaf21218ad570593f.JPG

RSCN9461.JPG

That's what was throwing me off too, I did consider Eared Grebe as a possibility. More opinions would be great; eared grebe is kinda rare here.

4 minutes ago, Lee Justice said:

Can we post links to articles? I found a good article discussing the difficulty on identifying distant grebes.

Any info'd be great and much appreciated 😁

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the great article everyone, helps a lot!

28 minutes ago, akandula said:

The thick neck and gradual-sloping forehead forming a peak at the back of the head make these Horned Grebes. 

Thanks, I was focusing too much on coloration and not enough on body shape.

Edited by Birding Boy
  • Like 1

Agree with horned. I recently learned that the horned sit lower in the water than the eared making them look less fluffy. Much easier when they are in breeding plumage. I made a mistake reporting a distant grebe as a horned on ebird and was corrected using this distinction. Attached are pics of both that help with this.

Grebe horned.JPG

Grebe eared nonbreeding.JPG

• Like 2