Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

Anybody know where I can reliably see Purple Martins, Thayer's Gull, and Cassin's Vireo in San Luis Obispo cty. or Santa Barbara cty.? Thank you!

Edited by Bird-Boys

6 minutes ago, Bird-Boys said:

San Luis Obispo cty. or Santa Barbara cty.

CA

And Lazuli Bunting and Yellow-Breasted Chat?

Maybe this should be in the Birding Trips sub forum?

You’re a bit late on the Thayer’s Gull. A lot of the wintering gulls are gone by now, and those that haven’t left, will leave soon.

Cassin’s Vireo, Lazuli Bunting, Yellow-breasted Chat, and Purple Martins should be easier starting around late April - early May.

Unfortunately, I don’t have much local knowledge in that area, so I can’t really help you. Up here in Alameda County, Cassin’s Vireo and Lazuli Bunting are both relatively easy to find May - Aug, whereas Purple Martins and Yellow-breasted Chats are much more difficult and are not really reliable anywhere. But it may very well be different for you down there.

I suggest reading up about the habitats these birds favor, and researching on eBird to look for specific locations.

Hopefully someone else who has more local knowledge in that area will chime in...

• Like 1

I suggest using species maps on eBird and filtering by month to reduce the amount of data you have to search through. Then click on individual points until you find locations where there are the most sightings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Maybe this should be in the Birding Trips sub forum?

Yeah, probably...

Thank You for the suggestions!

PS just did a quick search on eBird, looks like there's a couple spots around Atascadero you could check for Purple Martin - specifically, "Hwy 41 at San Gabriel Rd." or "Atascadero Lake"