Whatbird Community

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just do not see many out of town. I live five miles from the nearest town. It have a gigantic population 584 people, one cafe, and one church, a few small businesses, and a (We really upgraded in th

It was to dark to take a good picture.  But we found a new neighbor last night.  I relocated it in a tree today and it has a really good hiding place.    

Anyone ever see a bird just outside of their yard and run back into their yard to see it while standing in the yard so that it can be added to the yard list?  We've done that a few times... 😆

Posted Images

Always a good day when you get a Yard Bird that is also a Lifer right out the kitchen window! Got home from taking the SAT to this gal (I think)!

#98 for the yard, #200 for VT, and Lifer #270!

P1110070.JPG

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1

Added a lot of species to my yard list the last week! 
Here in Calgary I’m now at 59 for my residential yard, which is almost exactly half of the total amount I’ve seen in the city. Added 2 Trumpeter Swans yesterday, 16 Tundra swans and a Blackpoll warbler 2 days ago, and a golden-crowned kinglet 3 days ago. 
American Tree Sparrows seem to be my nemesis as I can walk across the the street and see lots, but never have been able to count them as a yard bird...  As I was typing this a Rough-legged hawk just flew over which is the 2nd one seen in my yard. I’ve always missed the warbler migration somehow so missing lots of warblers, but I think I’m doing pretty good. Been trying hard for Snow geese, but think that’s a bit greedy. 

For my cabin in the Shuswap which is a lot more  in nature, I’m at 106. I’ve had 3 rare birds actually visit my yard there. I don’t have it as a yard on eBird as I made a hotspot for the general area which is at 131 species, but I guess it doesn’t really matter. I’ve never been there from October-March with eBird yet so I know I could add a few more good ones... maybe one day. Latest there was a Ruby-throated Hummingbird and 2 Broad-tailed hawks both rare and seen on the same day!

I am up to 136 now. Some of the latest ones being:  Marsh Wren, Lincoln's Sparrow, Clay-colored Sparrow, Black-capped Vireo, Swamp Sparrow, Green-winged Teal, Hutton's Vireo, Brown Thrasher, Rufous Hummingbird, Upland Sandpiper, Canada Goose, Blue Grosbeak, and Least Flycatcher.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a pretty good yard list, I won't list the whole thing since it is kind of long. I have been shocked however by how many birds fly over my yard though.  I have been watching these birds for almost eight years now, and I am right between a river and a lake so many of these birds are commuting between them. 

Here it goes. Lewis's woodpecker, Swainson's Thrush, Calliope Hummingbird, Swainson's Hawk, Purple Martin, Phainopepla, Osprey, Daily Bald Eagles during the spring, Sandhill Cranes, American White Pelicans, every expected swallow and swift species in the Sacramento area, Say's Phoebe, Tricolored Blackbird, Rufous-crowned Sparrow,  Hutton's Vireo, Band-tailed Pidgeon, Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Varied Thrush, American Pipit, Western-wood Pewee, Many duck species, and my favorites, Great Horned Owl, Western-screech Owl, Barn owl, And the best birds I have every had in my yard, a pair of Northern Pygmy Owls that spent the spring and early summer around my house. 

Not bad for a Suburban house on the flats of the Sacramento valley.

Edited by Aidan B

My yard list on eBird is at 52. Some of my favorites include two Sandhill Cranes that flew overhead in April, Bald Eagles that fly over somewhat frequently, and a Hutton's Vireo--the only time I've ever seen one. My absolute favorite was a Pygmy Owl a few years ago, but I can't remember when it was so it's not on eBird. My mom also heard a Great Horned Owl in some trees behind my house, but I didn't hear it myself so I haven't counted that on my yard list. I'm sure there's a few others that are not on eBird because I didn't have eBird at the time.

Edited by Colton V
8 hours ago, DLecy said:

My Yard List is at 92 in eBird. I have lived here for 1 1/2 yrs. 

Most Recent Yard Bird: Northern Harrier

Best Bird: Black Vulture (a California Bird Records Committee Review Species)

Did that BLVU come from the south? I'm a mile south of you. I was looking for it everyday around then, but I didn't get out early that morning. It probably flew right over my house.

28 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Did that BLVU come from the south? I'm a mile south of you. I was looking for it everyday around then, but I didn't get out early that morning. It probably flew right over my house.

Yes, it did. Josh Snead had it a week earlier in Kentfield, so it was around for a short time. I lost it over the ridge to the north and then it was in Novato for a bit and I think the last sighting of it in MRN was back in San Rafael on 10/22. Who knows where it is by now?!

Just now, DLecy said:

Yes, it did. Josh Snead had it a week earlier in Kentfield, so it was around for a short time. I lost it over the ridge to the north and then it was in Novato for a bit and I think the last sighting of it in MRN was back in San Rafael on 10/22. Who knows where it is by now?!

I think it’s been seen around Bolinas recently. That’s unfortunate I probably missed a cool yard bird. It was nice that it moved into east Marin for a little. 

8 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I think it’s been seen around Bolinas recently. That’s unfortunate I probably missed a cool yard bird. It was nice that it moved into east Marin for a little. 

Yeah, it was a dope yard bird for sure. You'll get something else good in time, I'm sure. Your BCHU would have been a county bird for me, whereas the BLVU wasn't, so if I had a choice I'd actually pick the hummer. It's all relative. 

I have been birding from my house for the past few months since I have a 7 week old baby, and I had I high hopes for getting something really good flying over this fall, but the best I could manage was the RLHA. 

• 3 weeks later...