Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

Today just west of Sacramento, CA.

Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area.

I think that they are least sandpipers, but I wanted to confirm.

Picture 1

question sandpiper9

Picture 2

question sandpiper8

Picture 3

question sandpiper7

Picture 4

question sandpiper5

Picture 5

question sandpiper4

Picture 6

question sandpiper3

Picture 7

question sandpiper2

Picture 8

question sandpiper1

Edited by gstacks

I don't know all my sandpipers THAT well but, all the ones that are smaller and have yellow-ish legs should all be least sandpipers. As for the smaller sandpipers(peeps) around here, they're nice and easy if you can be sure of leg color.
The larger birds with longer bills, I believe they're all dunlins. You can see one had a completely dark belly which is good breeding plumage... I'm wondering if the ones that look a little more spotted on their bellies are still dunlins and the black just hasn't fully come in yet.
So that's what I'm seeing... least sandpipers and dunlins. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, millipede said:

I don't know all my sandpipers THAT well but, all the ones that are smaller and have yellow-ish legs should all be least sandpipers. As for the smaller sandpipers(peeps) around here, they're nice and easy if you can be sure of leg color.
The larger birds with longer bills, I believe they're all dunlins. You can see one had a completely dark belly which is good breeding plumage... I'm wondering if the ones that look a little more spotted on their bellies are still dunlins and the black just hasn't fully come in yet.
So that's what I'm seeing... least sandpipers and dunlins. 🙂

I think you are correct

Agree with Least Sandpiper and Dunlins.

however the background bird in photo 5 looks like Western Sandpiper - too long of bill, black legs = not Least, pale chest and shape suggests Western over Dunlin to me

22 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Agree with Least Sandpiper and Dunlins.

however the background bird in photo 5 looks like Western Sandpiper - too long of bill, black legs = not Least, pale chest and shape suggests Western over Dunlin to me

I was hoping that there'd be some western in there. I have a couple more pictures of birds that don't seem like Least or like Dunlin. Do you think that they're Western?

western3western1western

The first photo is a Least Sandpiper. The second photo is a Dunlin. The third photo is the Western Sandpiper.

• Thanks 1

Notice how the Western Sandpiper in the last photo there looks plump - Westerns are larger and plumper than Least/Semipalmated. Notice how it has a thick, linebacker neck and shoulders, and a rather long, slightly droopy bill. Also the dark legs differentiate from Least Sandpiper and the pale breast and smaller, more compact shape differentiate from Dunlin.

• Like 1