Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ken Nielsen

Gotta be a Red-winged Blackbird but Not Sure, Please Help

This guy, or gal, looks like a mixture of Male and Female Red-winged Blackbird... I tend to think Male... What is going on here? Red wing is almost there but not pronounced, or did I get the name of this bird entirely wrong? Portland, Oregon today near the Columbia River. Thanks for your help on this.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 6.10.49 PM.png

This is an immature male Red-winged Blackbird almost completely molted into adult plumage.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, akandula said:

This is an immature male Red-winged Blackbird almost completely molted into adult plumage.

Wow, I appreciate that help so much. So, the babies are out and about and growing already... I'm not sure of the time when eggs are laid and how long until they are hatched, then is it only a few months that they begin to look like this? Thanks akandula!

1 hour ago, akandula said:

This is an immature male Red-winged Blackbird in formative plumage. Red-wingeds do little if any molt in late winter/spring. This bird will not see adult plumage until Jul-Aug. Note the black centers in the median coverts. Adults, at all times of year, have clean yellow greater coverts and lean red lesser coverts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Nielsen said:

So, the babies are out and about and growing already

No. They're not. This bird is not yet one year old, but it is a member of the youngest cohort of Red-winged Blackbird in the world.