Whatbird Community
gsmccall3

Sylvia warbler in Central Georgia

Accidentally snapped a picture of this bird while trying to get a shot of the Corn Bunting above. Was unable to catch it through my binoculars and the pics aren't that great. The overall structure and extent of black on head seems to indicate Eastern Orphean. However, the underparts look a little dusky for that species (although this could just be a trick of the light). Picture taken March 24th 2020 at Lake Lisi outside of Tbilisi, Georgia. Thanks for any help.

Mac

DSCN9686 (2).JPG

DSCN9685.JPG

Welcome to Whatbird!

I also think that this Sylvia warbler looks best for an Eastern Orphean, but I don’t know if we can completely rule out a dark male Menetries’s from these photos.

Thanks, Akandula! I actually hadn't considered Menetries's. I think I'll leave this one unidentified. Very interesting either way though - a bit early for either species.

• Like 1

Didn’t realize I was in “help me ID a bird outside North America” and thought @gsmccall3 was taking about Georgia the state, I got pretty exited. 😋