Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Corey

All Anna's hummingbirds?

Today in southern Nevada. Anna's is by far the most common. Once in a while I'll see a Costa's.  Black-chinned start coming soon.  Not sure about these today, especially the one in the bad photos. It's possible to see a broad-tail or rufous, but that's very rare.  Thanks!

DSCN6431b.jpg

DSCN6435.JPG

DSCN6417.JPG

DSCN6434.JPG

i believe you are correct for anna's on 1 and i think so for 2 and 4 but i am unsure on 3 the bird seems to be possibly larger than the other birds. I would wait for the experts on 3

• Like 1

bird 3 also appears to be sitting with a taller posture and the dark coloration appears to be more prolific on its head than it should be for anna's but this could just be individual variation or a shadow

• Like 1

Photo 1, you can see the dusky centers of the undertail coverts on the Anna's. Picture 3 the undertail coverts look pretty clean white to me. But I'm not sure.

• Like 1

1 and 3 look good for Anna's. The second bird seems to show more rufous than would be expected, but it could be another Anna's.

• Like 1