Whatbird Community

Lexington County, central SC, 25 March 20.  Mixed habitat, although this bird was in a small tree, one of many widely space small trees planted along a wide road shoulder.

The bird pretty much sat there for a few minutes.  I looked at something else and it was gone when I looked back.

I see pink legs, a pinkish-grayish bill, streaking on the upper chest but none on the belly, a strong narrow white eye ring and faint eye strip stripe, white malars.  Vesper, maybe, although I've never seen one before and I'm not comfortable with that call.  A young / non-adult bird, although I -assume- any sparrows at this time of year are adults.  Chipping, Song, and White-throated are common at this site.

Thanks.

image.png.4618fd69b9836fa3d30b05cce81e8653.png

image.png.6329f0c0d8d09cb6199f56bdda99e82c.png

That's a typical adult Vesper Sparrow. Note the prominent white eyering, dark outlined auriculars, and thin streaking.

• Like 5

I wanted to go that way based on the ring, streaking, and bill and leg coloring, but I've never looked one up in any reference before today.

Oh, before I forget, ... Lifer!

• Like 5

Absolutely a Vesper Sparrow. Congratulations!

20 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I wanted to go that way based on the ring, streaking, and bill and leg coloring, but I've never looked one up in any reference before today.

Oh, before I forget, ... Lifer!

congrats!!

After getting my leg pulled by @Charlie Spencer I came here expecting another cartoon character and puzzling my head over what one would fall under the category of a sparrow. Fooled me twice  😆

• Haha 2