Whatbird Community

May 12th, 2018, taken on our Spring Bird Count, and originally IDd as Dusky Flycatchers, and I'm almost as bad with flycatchers as I am with scaup and gulls. And sandpipers. And yellowlegs. Anyway, I digress. And no, unfortunately these were taken before I set on a mission to learn Flycatchers better by ear. Which really hasn't worked yet, but I'm trying.

I hope everyone is doing well. Here in WY I was lucky, I got just over two weeks off paid before they figured out how to get me sort of working remote. We are also not on a lock down and have a lot of space to socially isolate, so I managed to get two SEOW surveys done, actually found owls for once, and went around looking for some early migrants like Sagebrush Sparrows. Things are scary out there right now though so those of you in worse situations, stay healthy.

The first three are, I believe the same bird, Sheridan, WY near Little Goose Creek in town. Least instead of Dusky?

1A

2018%2005%2012%20Dusky%20Flycatcher%20Le

1B

1C

Two possible different birds at the South Park Natural Area south of Sheridan and also along Little Goose Creek.

2018%2005%2012%20Dusky%20Flycatcher%20Br

2018%2005%2012%20Dusky%20Flycatcher%20Br

I’ve only seen Dusky on a few occasion so am not terribly confident and additionally, too lazy to get a field guide at the moment.

10 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

I’ve only seen Dusky on a few occasion so am not terribly confident and additionally, too lazy to get a field guide at the moment.

I have to admit, I laughed! I have a library in the back of my car, if I wanted to go out and get it, only I know all of the flycatchers in it would still look the same...:P

Willow, Least, Least, I think is the general consensus so far....

Why do birds 1 and 2 look dark-mandibled, which would be wrong for any empie species that breeds in the East? Additionally, though the photo angle on bird 2 leaves much to be desired wen assaying some features (such as primary projection and tail length), seems to show the bill well, which presents are quite narrow.

I'm in WY so not east?

Willow and Least would be normal here. Though Willow is rare at that time of year.