Whatbird Community

Late to the Party...iNaturalist

• 1 month later...

I finally joined and have uploaded most of my non-bird photos. Still got a bunch of wildflowers to go through.

Is anyone aware of tool that can import existing eBird observations? I'd at least like to add one entry for everything on my lifelist without having to do it manually.

Just now, neilpa said:

I finally joined and have uploaded most of my non-bird photos. Still got a bunch of wildflowers to go through.

Is anyone aware of tool that can import existing eBird observations? I'd at least like to add one entry for everything on my lifelist without having to do it manually.

Will iNaturalist import an .XLS or .CSV file?  eBird will export to .XLS, which can be converted to .CSV if needed.

19 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Will iNaturalist import an .XLS or .CSV file?  eBird will export to .XLS, which can be converted to .CSV if needed.

Yea, that would work for the basic import and I suspect I'll go that route. I was really hoping there was something that could also pull from Macaulay though. iNaturalist is primarily about having photos as the basis for an observation. It has a rather extensive and open API so I was hoping someone had already cobbled together a tool that could do eBird => iNat w/ photos.

36 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Would somebody mind confirming this? It never got confirmed, generally I wouldn't care but this is my only photo of one at this location. 

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/164991293

Looks like a female Indigo to me.  Not green enough for Painted, not streaky enough for House Finch, and I -think- too far east for other options.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Looks like a female Indigo to me.  Not green enough for Painted, not streaky enough for House Finch, and I -think- too far east for other options.

Thanks, but that's not quite what I meant...I know what it is, just needed someone to confirm it on iNaturalist.

• Confused 1

Just now, Kevin said:

Thanks, but that's not quite what I meant...I know what it is, just needed someone to confirm it on iNaturalist.

The way that place works is you upload a photo and it has to have someone confirm it before it is excepted. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The way that place works is you upload a photo and it has to have someone confirm it before it is excepted. 

I don't think I'd like that.  It leaves uploads dependent on someone else liking the poster enough to look at the content.  Then you have to go to other sites and ask people to go confirm for you.  :classic_wink:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't think I'd like that.  It leaves uploads dependent on someone else liking the poster enough to look at the content.  Then you have to go to other sites and ask people to go confirm for you.  :classic_wink:

Most of the time it is easy to get confirmation for birds. The photo is excepted no matter what but it won't go to research grade if it isn't 2nded. I would 2nd his but I'm not sure it isn't a Blue Grosbeak female.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

It seems I have been won over to iNaturalist, I am starting to submit things....

I noticed you went on a streak confirming a bunch of my IDs. I too have been won over to starting to use it in addition to eBird

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

It seems to work surprisingly well in the short time I’ve used it. I’ve uploaded a ton of flower, bug, etc pics with broad IDs. A bunch of them have been narrowed down which I would’ve struggled to figure out, even with the field guides I own. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, neilpa said:

I noticed you went on a streak confirming a bunch of my IDs. I too have been won over to starting to use it in addition to eBird

Just trying to confirm some of the unconfirmed birds that have been added by Whatbird members. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

It seems I have been won over to iNaturalist, I am starting to submit things....

24 minutes ago, neilpa said:

I think I’ve been won over too… I’ll probably start submitting things soon.

2 hours ago, neilpa said:

It seems to work surprisingly well in the short time I’ve used it. I’ve uploaded a ton of flower, bug, etc pics with broad IDs. A bunch of them have been narrowed down which I would’ve struggled to figure out, even with the field guides I own. 

I'm content with eBird.  I haven't looked at iNaturalist so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I don't see the value in updating multiple sites.

6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm content with eBird.  I haven't looked at iNaturalist so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I don't see the value in updating multiple sites.

But ebird is for birds only, iNaturalist accepts everything.....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I understand, but that's why there's no value in it for me.  I'm not interested in tracking anything else.  Again, that's just me; others may want different things.

Nope, it only makes sense if you want to upload non-birds also.  I don't upload all my birds unless I happen to be loading other stuff also, or I know they are species of concern for my state.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, neilpa said:

I would’ve struggled to figure out, even with the field guides I own. 

This is what I love so much about iNaturalist. It would take me years to figure out all my id's, of bugs and plants and fish and ...., the old fashion way. And then only if I nailed myself to the chair and stopped going out nature watching. Where is the fun in that!? I tried a few other sights like BAMONA and Bugguide but they are so slow. And Bugguide I never found user friendly. I have made so much progress in getting things ided in the short time I have been on, it is Amazing.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, neilpa said:

even with the field guides I own. 

And I'm saving a ton of money not having to buy field guides. Plus there is a bunch information contained in iNaturalist about each species World Wide. Plus you are helping the scientific community with every post.

• Like 2