Whatbird Community

These pictures were taken in northerly Vermont in June, about 15 miles from Lake Champlain. Olive-Sided Flycatcher is found occasionally near this spot, but somewhat higher up. No calls heard. I’m including Photo Sleuth reports for each picture, but the picture with the head turned was also called (67%) an Eastern Wood-Peewee on one check. I know size is hard to judge without some reference, but it seemed larger than a Peewee to me. Are there any other field marks I should be looking for?

46BA913A-F966-4A37-B30D-FF3F3B3E8D98.png

BF10017A-F9B4-421F-9922-91D1814B7337.png

02EE169B-C35B-48F6-8676-8FA3E7C5708F.jpeg

0437F318-2BC2-4448-9285-B3E06EABCC9F.jpeg

With the streaked, dark vest, bright white line down the center of the breast, and the short tail, this looks good for an Olive-sided Flycatcher.

Hi JP: Nice work with the app. Its hard to beat a 94% confidence for the Olive-Sided Flycatcher. Have you had similar success with other species of birds? Any features or changes you'd like to see us make.

First, thanks to The Bird Nuts for the reply.  I had never spotted an Olive-sided Flycatcher before, and it was unknown for this location (I think), so I was uncertain of myself.  Using the suggested field marks, I went back and did more research, and was able to convince myself.

As to success with other species, I had only tried the app on a test basis on some not-so-great pictures of a Bald Eagle and a Snowy Owl, so I don't have much practical experience.  One of my weak spots is shorebirds, and with migration season upon us I'll try to get some pictures and try it some more.  Maybe hawks in flight, too.  Don't have any suggestions yet, but who knows what will occur with practice.