Whatbird Community

I took this photo this morning in Laurel, MD.  I would love some help figuring out if this is a Northern or Louisiana Waterthrush.  Thanks for the help!

49766931602_e56bbef34a_z.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Looks like a Louisiana to me with the apparent lack of streaks on the throat, the white supercilium, and the white underside.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 3

Beautiful photo.

Agree with Louisiana Waterthrush for same reasons (unstreaked throat, whitish eyebrow, whitish underparts with slight salmon/buff wash to flanks, white eyebrow is long and somewhat flared toward the rear).

A good way to tell them apart is the way they bob their tails. Northern Waterthrush bob straight up and down, while Louisiana Waterthrush do more of a circular motion. Song is very helpful as well of course.

• Like 2

Thanks!  I was leaning toward Northern because I thought chest streaking was heavier. That's why I post to this site.

Agree with Louisiana here... for same reasons as above.  Added info(but not any way to make an ID)...They also start arriving in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast earlier then Northern Waterthrushes do.

On 4/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, CMac322 said:

Thanks!  I was leaning toward Northern because I thought chest streaking was heavier. That's why I post to this site.

It's not even 15 April, so Louie is much more likely in MD now than is Northern.