Whatbird Community

Warbler? Please assist with ID

On 4/13/2020 at 6:27 PM, Jerry Friedman said:

Lovely.  A male, by the way, with the orange in the crown.  A female's crown would be all yellow.

Isn't the crown like the one on a Ruby-Crowned, that it can be hidden and isn't always displayed?  If that's the case, orange definitely indicates male, but all yellow could be either.  If that's not the case, I'm wrong again, but I'm used to it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Isn't the crown like the one on a Ruby-Crowned, that it can be hidden and isn't always displayed?  If that's the case, orange definitely indicates male, but all yellow could be either.  If that's not the case, I'm wrong again, but I'm used to it.

I think you're correct.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:46 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

Yes, according to allaboutbirds, but the photos suggest that even when the orange in the crown is hidden, it's still barely visible if you get a good look at the top of the head (also true of an adult male Ruby-crown, I believe).

Edited by Jerry Friedman
  • Like 1