Whatbird Community

I need help and i hope this is the right place to ask

I'm trying to attract pigeons to my balcony, i put food, water, plants and even played bird sounds and dripping water sounds, but nothing worked. Does anybody know a trick other than what i mentioned earlier to attract birds (not necessarily pigeons) to my balcony?

Welcome to Whatbird!  Yes, this is the right place to ask.

What city and state are you in?  Are the apartments in the middle of town with limited access to natural settings, or are they near woods, fields, water, etc?  What food are you putting out?  

On 4/14/2020 at 7:25 PM, JP48 said:

How high is your balcony from the ground?

I dont know, i live in a private house and my balcony is on the second floor, i dont see many birds in here, mostly laughing doves. But im hopeful.

On 4/14/2020 at 7:34 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

Welcome to Whatbird!  Yes, this is the right place to ask.

What city and state are you in?  Are the apartments in the middle of town with limited access to natural settings, or are they near woods, fields, water, etc?  What food are you putting out?  

Hello! Thank you for your welcome. I live in israel in a private house, i dont have anything nature related in my balcony but i do have many plants like a pecan tree in my backyard, but i rarely see any bird even there! I used to try to attract birds with rice and bread, but today i will buy a seed mix for pigeons (i see mostly laughing doves, sparrows and those green parrots and i think they should be able to eat the same food), i will also build a feeder instead of just putting the food on my balcony/ backyard grass. Thank you and have a nice day/evening.

13 hours ago, Alonrim said:

Hello! Thank you for your welcome. I live in israel in a private house, i dont have anything nature related in my balcony but i do have many plants like a pecan tree in my backyard, but i rarely see any bird even there! I used to try to attract birds with rice and bread, but today i will buy a seed mix for pigeons (i see mostly laughing doves, sparrows and those green parrots and i think they should be able to eat the same food), i will also build a feeder instead of just putting the food on my balcony/ backyard grass. Thank you and have a nice day/evening.

My apologies, I saw 'balcony' and assumed you were in an apartment.

Most of the people on this forum are in the United States, so we don't know much about the types of birds you have in Israel or what food they prefer.  Most birds in the US that will come to feeders prefer sunflower seeds.

Here we can get bird feeders and bird food at hardware stores, gardening stores, and specialized bird food stores.  They also sell hooks that mount on balcony railings to hang feeders.  Try looking in those stores or doing a web search for them. Actually, you should be able to feeders and food available for purchase on the Internet.

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

My apologies, I saw 'balcony' and assumed you were in an apartment.

Most of the people on this forum are in the United States, so we don't know much about the types of birds you have in Israel or what food they prefer.  Most birds in the US that will come to feeders prefer sunflower seeds.

Here we can get bird feeders and bird food at hardware stores, gardening stores, and specialized bird food stores.  They also sell hooks that mount on balcony railings to hang feeders.  Try looking in those stores or doing a web search for them. Actually, you should be able to feeders and food available for purchase on the Internet.

I purchased a packet of bird mix ( sunflower seeds, corn, etc

..) and i just built a feeder snd hanged it on a tree, ill update if i successided. Thank you very much 🙂