Whatbird Community

Along the Colombia River near Portland OR.  Roughly RTHA size, broad squarish wings. Soaring with minimal flapping. Browns and redish overall coloring. Very noticeable light/white rump top and bottom - made me think of a harrier or violet-green swallow but behavior didn't fit either :classic_laugh:   Heavily banded tail. May have seen light wing crescents as I've seen in pics of Red-shouldered but only got a brief glimpse of that so maybe not. Any ideas?

Posted (edited)

I'd like more info, such as:

• Tail length
  • How many and what size tail bands
  • Breast color
  • Belly color
  • Patagial color
Edited by The Bird Nuts

55 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Blood type and registered political party would help too.

SSN and bank account info......

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SirVive said:

Colombia River

Now, that's interesting. Most gringos mis-spell the name of the northern-most country in South America, but I don't think that I've seen someone use the country's spelling for any place name in the US.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Red-shouldered Hawk would be my guess.

I agree, but more info would be very helpful 

3 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Now, that's interesting. Most gringos mis-spell the name of the northern-most country in South America, but I don't think that I've seen someone use the country's spelling for any place name in the US.

😜  It'll be hard to live that one down. I've lived by the river my whole life - but I have been to the other several times and currently have a sister stuck there in quarantine so I guess I have some excuse.

11 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

I'm gonna have to report you and @Charlie Spencer to the game warden for phishing out of season 😊

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

• Tail length
  • Breast color
  • Belly color
  • Patagial color

Sorry don't have much more info than I gave and no pics - just watched as it circled around and then headed out of sight. I'm not very good at knowing what key points to note in brief sightings with these hawks. I'd say roughly 5 bands on the tail and to my untrained eye appeared to be on the wider end of the spectrum as far as hawks I'm used to. There was a definite contrast in the colors between light and dark bands.

• Like 1

Red-shouldered is a good possibility then.

7 hours ago, SirVive said:

I'm not very good at knowing what key points to note in brief sightings with these hawks.

The points I listed plus your observations (wing shape, etc.) are most of what to look for next time.

8 hours ago, SirVive said:

I'd say roughly 5 bands on the tail and to my untrained eye appeared to be on the wider end of the spectrum as far as hawks I'm used to.

Between that and the wing crescents you mentioned in the first post, I'd go with Red-Shouldered strictly for conversational purposes.  I certainly wouldn't report it as anything other than 'Hawk sp.'.

(and I constantly forget to look for those wing crescents!)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

• Tail length
  • Breast color
  • Belly color
  • Patagial color

22 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Blood type and registered political party would help too.

21 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

Also it's mother and father's ancestry for the last hundred years.

Well Red-shouldered would be a lifer so definitely not going to claim it on this. Guess my follow up question would be what other species could it be in this area. Think I can pretty confidently rule out RTHA , SSHA , and COHA so just wondering what else I need to differentiate between in the future.